Amending Vital Records of Deceased in NYC

Gather certified copies and apostilles.

Moderator: Daniel

Amending Vital Records of Deceased in NYC

Postby bealudobona » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:05 pm

I'm trying to determine the best route for my father to be recognized as a dual citizen. The last name of our deceased direct line ancestors on much of the documentation we need (birth, marriage and death) is spelled incorrectly. (Our last name is always spelled wrong - my social security card and my daughter's passport had to be sent back twice! to get the correct spelling.) At least two of the records we will need to amend are in the municipal archives. I'm waiting on one from the vital records office. The municipal archives has already informed me that their records cannot be amended, but that they can provide a letter that the consulate will accept. I'm not convinced for two reasons. First, one of the documents is so botched that the last name bears little resemblance to ours and is itself a common Italian surname. In addition, everything I've heard about the Consulates' approach to this issue is that at least as far as birth and marriage certs go, the last names need to be consistent. BTW, we are using the Newark Consulate.
So, should I attempt to get a court order to get the records changed at the archives (one is from 1880 and the other from 1900)? And potentially at vital records for the 1914 birth cert in the event it too is misspelled?
Or should we just have my dad go the route of jure matrionio assuming my mother is recognized? (We are in the process of collecting the documents for my mother's appointment.) Advice appeciated. Thanks.
bealudobona

Re: Amending Vital Records of Deceased in NYC

Postby Em » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:46 am

Sounds like a daunting task, but check with Vital Records to determine if it is actually possible to make the changes you need. Newark is rather fussy about name discrepancies even when it is not a surname, so I think the amendments will be necessary. Citizenship through marriage may be easier, but it will probably take about two years for this to go through (after your mother's citizenship is recognized).
Em

Postby bealudobona » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:28 pm

Thanks, Em. Do you know how Newark considers Anglicization: as a discrepancy or a translation? I have a Giacomo birth cert/James death cert, and a Michele birth cert/Michael death cert. These are obvious name translations, but maybe not all Consulates see it that way....
bealudobona

Postby Em » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:38 pm

I was there several years ago. I know they found Gabriele/Gabriel acceptable.
Em

Postby NOLA » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:42 pm

Records in the Municipal Archives cannot be changed. I tried this route. Court Orders may help. It is not so difficult, but since they are so old, it probably will not work. I did change names on both my parents' death certificates. However, they were relatively new, one in l998 and one in 2005. There was a spot for "also know as," so I had the changes bureau in NYC add their Italian first names.
NOLA

Postby nccmcpo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:42 am

I was told that my grandfathers name on death certificate from NYC would need to come from Doctor at the time well I am sure this doctor is long gone now or Hospital St. Vincent in NYC is closed now and all this becouse his birth cert from Italy ends in a O and his American Documents end in a I
nccmcpo

Return to Documents