discrepencies in spelling of names

Gather certified copies and apostilles.

Moderator: Daniel

discrepencies in spelling of names

Postby pamgam » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:41 pm

My grandparents were both born in Italy and married in Boston. My grandmother's last name is incorrect on their marriage certificate in 1911. Her last name is spelled Campana when it is really Gambale. Her father's last name is also spelled Campana. I assume thisis because she didn't speak English and some clerk just wrote down what he/she thought they heard. I have all of my other paperwork documented, and this seems to be my biggest problem now in obtaining Italian citizenship. Does anyone know how I can have her legal name changed on her marriage certificate? I have her birth and death certificate where her last name is correct. They told me in NY that Boston should change it, but I have not had any luck. Can anyone help?
pamgam

Re: discrepencies in spelling of names

Postby terminus » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:07 pm

I know of no way to correct a document that old, but it may not be an issue.

Since marriage is not required to transmit citizenship, as long as the other documents have the correct names (in particular, the birth and death certificates), then you should just list them on the discrepancy list you make.

If you're still worried, write the church and get a certified copy from them, assuming it has the right name.

Good luck.
terminus

Postby pamgam » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:46 pm

Thanks for your reply. It does seem to be an issue in New York. I will try the church although I will have to do some research there, but thanks for the idea.
pamgam

Postby nccmcpo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:36 am

I have asked the Consulate in new York and Maimi, see my grandfathers birth cert from Italy ends in a O, all his American Documents end in a I, and still can not get the correct responce, I have talked to about 10 translators and got 15 diffrent responces some say no problem some say big problem have to change all American documents, as for marriage cert on there web site consulate say Marriage certificate now one translator is telling me they will ask for Lience also, does anybody know sombody out there who can give me the straight arrow on all this. I am overseas and to make a trip back to the states and find out on appointment day somthing is not correct well you can see my point, has anybody ever sent the consulate a package so they can review it 1st, veru confuused
nccmcpo

Return to Documents