Married During Application Process

Gather certified copies and apostilles.

Moderator: Daniel

Married During Application Process

Postby simdave » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:55 pm

So I have been working on my citizenship since I think 2005. It's been a brutal, difficult process. Most recently I was notified of a discrepancy on my paternal grandfather's death certificate (he is who I am applying through). It took me 11 months to resolve this discrepancy with New York State and now just today I have finally ordered the revised document from VitalChek. Now, to further complicate things last months I was married. I have accounted for everything necessary in the process for me an my relatives but now that I have a wife - what do I need to do differently to get her citizenship at the same time?

Thank you!
simdave

Re: Married During Application Process

Postby Em » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:24 pm

Not a thing really. If you've already submitted your application, let it go as is and add your marriage information to AIRE after your citizenship is recognized. If you've not yet submitted your forms, get your marriage certificate apostilled and translated, and submit it with the rest of your documents. Your wife will not be able to apply until you have been married for three years.
Em

Return to Documents