Pre-unification birth certifcate

Gather certified copies and apostilles.

Moderator: Daniel

Pre-unification birth certifcate

Postby bellaspinaze » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:59 pm

Has anyone had any luck in seeking birth certificates from Italy pre-unifcation?

My husband's great-grandfather was born in 1851 in either Orsago or Cordogne and I have paid good money for a search to be conducted but with no results including hiring a so called expert in Italy. I have been searching for three years now.

I have aquired every other certficate needed for citizenship for all members of my husband's family and I have gone to great lengths to have everything translated into italian. I even have a certifed copy of naturalisation papers for my husband's great-grandfather. I have everything I need to aquire citizenship except the birth certicate of his great-grandparents.

Where do I go from here?

Do I have to have the birth certicates or naturalisation papers enough to prove that his great-grandfather was Italian?

I am based in Brisbane, Australia, and have emailed the consulate in Brisbane detailing all the documentation I have, but they weren't very helpful. I guess they need to look at this on a case by case basis.

The following is everything that I know regarding my husband's great-grandparents:

Name: Giovanni Spinaze

Birth date: 24 May 1851

Place of birth: Codognè or Orsago

Parents names: Antonio Spinaze and Lucia ?

I believe Giovanni's mother name may have been Lucia FEDERIGO and she was born in c. 1822 and died in 14th of February 1881 in Port Breton, New Ireland.

The second certificate is for my husband's great-grandmother Marietta Capelin

Name: Marietta Capelin

Birth date: 1868

Place of birth: Boniara/Borniara (this is the only place name I have been given)

Parents names: Lorenzo Capelin and Catterina (Thescon)

According to the information I have, Marietta's father was born in 1837 in Orsago so I would assume that Marietta was born nearby somewhere.

I am quite desperate to locate these certificates. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Belinda Spinaze
bellaspinaze@hotmail.com
bellaspinaze

Re: Pre-unification birth certifcate

Postby CPA21 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:25 am

Has anyone checked the churches for baptismal records?

Do you have his Italian passport?
CPA21

Re: Pre-unification birth certifcate

Postby bellaspinaze » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:56 pm

No I don't have his passport and the person I had hired to check the records in Italy takes months to respond to my emails, when he can be bothered that is. I am staring to think that I should just send letters to the churches myself.
bellaspinaze

Return to Documents