Miami/Philly/Embassy Experience with Discrepancies?

Gather certified copies and apostilles.

Moderator: Daniel

Miami/Philly/Embassy Experience with Discrepancies?

Postby matta » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:56 pm

Hello all,

It's been 2.5 years since my last post, but I'm still on the case. My issue has to do with discrepancies (from a previous post):

"So, one big issue is that my GGF has his name spelled 3 different ways on documents. He was apparently born Giovanni Alfonsi in 1881, however, when he came to the US (starting with the ship manifest - the second oldest record I have), his name was was Giovanni Alfonso, born 1882 (same day, different year). Then, some time in the 1940's he changed his name again to John Alfonsa, born 1882. Some documents have Alfonso (like my mother's birth certificate, my GM's birth certificate, and his marriage certificate), some have Alfonsa (like his death certificate, his wife's death certificate, and my GM's marriage certificate), and his birth certificate has Alfonsi. All US documents have a birth date of 1882, which is different than the Italian document date of 1881."

Since then I have consolidated the name to 2 spellings (Alfonsi and Alfonso) and have a few documents linking the names. However, I still can't afford to go to court to get the names changed and my good friend Virginia has denied me in Miami.

I've read that some people in NYC are having some luck with a "One-in-the-Same" affidavit (notarized affidavit stating that two names are in fact the same person with some evidence to support it). Has anyone tried this anywhere else? Specifically, I can go to Philly or the Embassy in DC to get passports for other family members. If I get those passports, I don't need to track back to my GGF, and all documents for everyone else are perfect (even by Virginia's standards). Do anyone have an experience with those?

Thanks
matta

Re: Miami/Philly/Embassy Experience with Discrepancies?

Postby matta » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:22 pm

Opps. I meant to post this in Embassies and Consulates. Sorry about that.
matta

Return to Documents