Italian Translation

Gather certified copies and apostilles.

Moderator: Daniel

Italian Translation

Postby ccorona » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:49 pm

I will be using the Chicago Consulate. They require translation of all birth and marriage certificates to Italian. The marriage certificates include the associated applications and licenses which are quite lengthy and would be quite expensive to translate. Does anyone know if translating just the certificates would suffice or do they require the associated applications and licenses to be translated as well? Also, is there a cost effective way to get all the required documents translated?
ccorona

Re: Italian Translation

Postby geografia » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:32 pm

I'm interested, too! I'll be trying to get my documents translated within a month or two, so any insights would be appreciated!
geografia

Postby Em » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:18 pm

I'm not certain about this, but I believe that only the actual certificate needs to be translated. My grandparents' marriage certificate included a supplementary page that I did not translate, but this was for NY more than five years ago.

You may want to do your own translations. Many translation templates are posted at www.italiancitizenship.freeforums.org. I posted my translations there, but they were from NY, CT, and TX. If you have some proficiency in Italian, you may be able to adapt them. Some posters at that site have Chicago experience and may be able to give you better advice.
Em

Postby ccorona » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:14 pm

I appreciate your response and information. Thanks!
ccorona

Postby JimmyT » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:17 pm

Can someone please provide some guidance on the requirement for translation of documents from English to Italian. I am applying at the Consulate in New York. My question concerns the "certification" of the translation. The website states that for documents from New York City: "They must be submitted directly to the Consular Office with jurisdiction over your place of residence with a certified notarized translation, legalized with the Apostille."

What do they mean by "certified" translation. Is there some organization where the translator is a member? Do they have to be registered with the New York Consulate? Are there credentials required or can any educated person perform the translation? Can they simply be an individual who "certifies" that they have correctly translated the document. I have Italian relatives who could perform this service and at an asking price of $50.00 per document, there is a considerable amount to be saved by having them do it. But if the translation needs to be certified, then I may be stuck.

Does anyone have experience in New York who can help me?
JimmyT

Postby Em » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:50 pm

This is a new requirement, but I recall someone posting about this on either www.italiangenealogy.com or www.italiancitizenship.freeforums.org If I recall correctly, someone applied in NY and all was good except that one document needed to be sent to LA for the translation you mention. I believe there is a form that can be used, but ask this question on the other forums and someone may be able to give you more information.
Em

Postby Em » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:18 pm

This is the thread: http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=20896.html

Apparently, it is not a translation but a certification.
Em

Postby JimmyT » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:42 am

Thanks
JimmyT

Postby epasqueno » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:57 am

The application for the Chicago consulate just says "must be professionally translated into Italian." So what qualifies as professional? Anything special? I could probably do it myself.....
epasqueno

Return to Documents