No Records Found... what next?

Gather certified copies and apostilles.

Moderator: Daniel

No Records Found... what next?

Postby davidpotesta » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:32 am

I have a No Records found from USCIS, NARA and local County in the state that my anscestor lived.
I've read that the next step is to search the 'United States Census'. According to their site, all census records from 1930 and before are held at NARA, National Archives. I need info from the 1900 census. Do I need to make my request with NARA again, this time for Census Records? Or do I need to somehow request it from the US Census Bureau? If so, how is that done?

Thanks!
David Potesta
davidpotesta

Re: No Records Found... what next?

Postby Em » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:50 am

You can go to the NARA website to make a request, and they will send it to you by mail. Be sure to request a certified copy. As an alternative, you can visit the NARA office. They will direct you to the appropriate microfiche. When you find the document, they will print it out and certify it.

You may want to search ancestry.com first. Many census records can be found there, so you will be able to determine if the census record suits your purpose.
Em

Re: No Records Found... what next?

Postby cornell » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:10 pm

I believe i will also have No Records Found from USISC, NARA, and County courts. The 1920, 1910, and 1900 census records for my ancestors contain incorrect information, and contradict each other. They will not help my claim. What do i do in this case?
(My great grandfather emigrated in 1891. His wife and the first 6 of his 11 children emigrated to join him in 1893 (we have her crossing documents, but not his). My grandfather was born in the USA in 1896. I believe his father emigrated in 1891, thus before he could have completed the naturalization process, if he ever did. But the census records are all over the place (1900 census says he arrived in 1890, and says "na", but says she arrived in 1891 - when we know for certain she arrived in 1893. 1910 census says he arrived in 1890 and is "na", but says she arrived in 1892, which is also incorrect. 1920 census says he and she both arrived in 1887 - when we know for certain she arrived in 1893). Will the census records hurt my case, or will they not matter, since they contain so many errors?
Also -- this site says they can't obtain documents from Italy prior to 1860 -- my great grandparents were born in Palermo in 1856 and 1857 respectively - how can I obtain their birth certificates? Thanks!
cornell

Return to Documents