Naturalization post 1956, Unable to get copy from father

Gather certified copies and apostilles.

Moderator: Daniel

Naturalization post 1956, Unable to get copy from father

Postby juleszan » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:51 pm

Hello everyone,

I am applying for citizenship "jure sanguinis" through my father, who was naturalized as a US citizen in 1984. I was born in 1981, prior to his naturalization.

My problem is this: I'm not in contact with my father and therefore having a hard time with the paperwork. SF Consulate (I'm in Alaska) requires a copy of both federal and county records. I was easily able to request the county record (Cook County, Chicago, IL) but am finding it difficult to obtain the federal statement or copy of record.

The USCIS Geneology program only has records up to 1956. From what I understand, a 1984 naturalization record can be obtain through a Freedom of Information Act request. However, this form requires his signature. Impossible.

Anyone have any ideas? Or am I totally wrong here?

Thank you!
juleszan

Re: Naturalization post 1956, Unable to get copy from father

Postby CPA21 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:28 am

Consider reconciling with your father?

Without his signature you are unlikely to be successful using the FOIA process.

Does NARA have naturalization records as recent as 1984? Are there any public documents that you can obtain that indicate that he nationalized? Can your mother get a copy of his naturalization certificate for you?

It can be tough to document his naturalization to the satisfaction of the consulate without his cooperation.
CPA21

Postby juleszan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:28 pm

Thank you for your post. I've already ordered a naturalization statement from NARA. The San Francisco consulate I must go through requires both the NARA statement AND a copy of naturalization certificate from USCIS.

Has anyone had success using a dual-citizenship service to obtain naturalization records? I guess I just don't understand how they could obtain a copy from USCIS without my father's signature if I myself can't do so legally.

What other documents would prove naturalization besides the actual certificate?
juleszan

Postby CPA21 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:56 pm

In practice either the natualization certificate or the NARA package are accepted by the consulate.

The service will either violate the law or take your money without providing any services. Reconciling with your father is a good idea.

If you cannot reconcile with your father do you have a sibling who would be interested in acquiring dual citizenship?
CPA21

Postby juleszan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:22 pm

My dream: reconciliation. It's complicated. But I think that's a topic for another forum. ;)

It is comforting to know that the NARA package has been acceptable in the past. I'll avoid those pay-for-services places if you guys think they'll do something illegal. If I wanted to go the illegal route, I'd just forge papa's signature on the FOIA form. Obviously, I'm striving for honesty... for my conscience, and for the law. I'm sure nostro bel paese would not be too happy to know I claimed citizenship through forgery. :)

I also received an email today from Mr. Cei at the SF consulate (Wow... Fast response and so helpful!) I think he implied that the NARA certificate will suffice since in my dad's county all naturalizations after 1929 were done through the Federal, not local, Court System. Crossing my fingers.

Thank you guys for your help!
juleszan

Postby juleszan » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:02 am

Just got an email from NARA saying that no records were found on my dad. I was certain that I had the correct city and date. Darn it. Back to the drawing board.
juleszan

Postby CPA21 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:07 am

Please check with NARA. They do not have all naturalization documents. Like the genealogy program there is probably a cutoff date that their records go to.

Do not despair. Your father's naturalization records should still be with the federal court where he naturalized. Court records are public records. Try that route next.

Many of the people who have trouble locating records are looking for documents that may be over 100 years old. These record can be difficult to locate for a variety of reasons. Even after the records are located they often have name and date discrepancies. On the other hand, you are looking for current records which are easy to locate and should be completely correct. The down side to your search is that there is very limited experience in dealing with this type of issue on these forums.
CPA21

Postby Juicy851 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:01 am

Thanks for the great reading
Juicy851

Postby mjw9613 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:38 pm

I also had problems with NARA trying to get a copy of wifes fathers Nat cert.
I found out that in some places the records were kept in the local Court House back when the Naturalizations where done. It was later that records were sent to Feds for storage. But some of the Court Houses kept their originals and sent copies to Feds!
If you can contact the County Court House where he was Naturalized they might still have a record.
mjw9613

Return to Documents