SF Consulate appt soon--got response finally!

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

SF Consulate appt soon--got response finally!

Postby cynannmarie » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:17 pm

Wanted to share that there is some form of life at the SF Consulate. I made doc review appt for Feb 1 07 with Anna Maria Stone 1 yr ago and with all the changes this past year there I was worried that this appt may not be still standing. So I faxed and called repeatedly to get reconfirmation of this appt--all to no avail. Finally I sent an email to every office in the consulate--not just the citizenship dept--and did get a response from someone in passports who did re-confirm it. So relieved!
Mr. **** did mention that they are extremely understaffed.

After all the work in obtaining all these docs, I am nervous about any problems. I have 2 questions for those of you who might know:

1) If, at your consulate appt, there are any docs that are missing, what is the option that is provided to supply them? Do you have to wait another year to present them in person, or do you just mail in the doc and go forward?
2) I read somewhere on this forum that there may be an issue with the naturalization document. I have the original from my grandfather. Also sent for a certified copy over one year ago from Homeland Security and have gotten nothing. Does anyone know what could be the problem with presenting the original naturalization document?

Thanks for any insights!
cynannmarie

Postby Em » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:55 pm

An original naturalization document should be at least as good as a certified copy.

Don't know about SF, but in NY, we simply mailed in the additional document a month later.
Em

Postby Giuseppe » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:27 pm

“Does anyone know what could be the problem with presenting the original naturalization document?”

It shouldn’t be a problem; however, make sure that you make a copy for the consulate. Obviously, you wouldn’t want to lose track of the original.

Good luck with your appointment!

Best,
Giuseppe
Giuseppe

SF Consulate

Postby cats » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:27 am

So glad to see your posting re: reply to your many emails from the passport office of the SF consulate. My mail in appt is Feb 8 and I too decided that because of the change in personnel in the citizenship dept. that I needed to confirm that appt. I've faxed and emailed and have received no response but as yet have not emailed the passport office. I will do that today. Hope I have the same kind of luck you had.

When it comes to your ancestor's naturalization papers, it is my understanding that a copy of that document is acceptable. They do not expect you to send the original. In fact, to insure that the original is not lost I would definitely not send the original.

It is also my understanding that on the day of your mail in appt your paperwork will be reviewed and you will be contacted and informed if there is any thing else needed or if everything is in order. If there is some missing documentation, a new appt is not needed. Your simply secure the missing documents and then forward them to the consulate.

Good luck and please post after your 2/1 appt and let us know how it went.
cats

Postby ciaobella » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:54 pm

My appointment was one year ago this month.

At the appointment I showed Ms. Stone my grandfather's original certificate of Naturalization and then gave her a copy.

My son's birth certificate was not in the "long form" so I had to send that (in the mail) later with a new apostille and translation. The first Birth certificate I had presented listed my name and my husband's name but not our place of birth. Ms. Stone told me that on any birth certificate in the direct line of descent it had to list the mother's and father's name AND their place of birth. So you may want to check your certificates.
ciaobella

Postby cats » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:48 pm

Since I have a mail in appt. I won't be there in person and in that case I believe a copy of the naturalization papers will do, or so I've been led to believe. Guess they'll let me know if they have to see the original.

Other than that, I think all my other docs are in order. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
cats

Postby Karena » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:54 pm

I have my appointment this week and I was wondering what I can expect -- thank you!
Karena

Return to Embassies and Consulates