Huge wait for SF and LA consulate

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Huge wait for SF and LA consulate

Postby mich555444 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:29 pm

Hello everyone,
I just got a phone call from Maurizio at the San Francisco consulate responding to my fax request of an appointment. He said that there is a 3-5 Year wait! He told me that they are getting hundreds of faxes a day requesting an appointment and that it is just not a priority of the consulate. I asked him about the L.A. consulate and he said the wait was the same there.
He is calling all the people who have sent faxes and letting them know that the requests have been received, not to send another request and letting the people know how long the wait is.
I still asked him to put my name down. He suggested that I go to an attorney who provides this service.. It will cost between $2000-$5000 depending on how difficult it is to get the documents together, but you will get your citizenship and passport in 4-6 months.

Michelle
mich555444

Postby Tiffany » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:23 pm

What?! That sounds bogus when in December of last year (three months ago), the wait was only nine months...

Ok, I'm sending a fax so he can tell me the same thing. If it's true, I better schedule now. I shouldn't have to go to a lawyer. It's the consulate's duty (and have you ever heard of a lawyer specializing in citizenship jure sanguinis?).
Tiffany

Postby mich555444 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:51 pm

I did tell him that it was only a one year wait just recently but he then went on to tell me how many requests were coming in and that it wasnt the Consulates priority and that the lawyer can prepare all the documents for you and submit them. I dont know enough about the process to know if that is accurate information or not, but I knew that you or Em would know. Thats why I posted it as soon as I hung up with him.
mich555444

Postby Tiffany » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:59 pm

I don't see how a lawyer preparing the documents or you preparing them would make a difference. And when you submit, I don't see why a lawyer would get preference, unless they are submitting straight to Italy (pretty sure that's not possible). If they're overloaded, they are overloaded, but it sounds like they are just making excuses.
Tiffany

Postby yjg » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:44 pm

Tiffany, let me know what you find out if you send your fax to the SF Consulate. I should probably make my appointment soon too. Hopefully this is not really the case.
yjg

Postby Tiffany » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:47 pm

I sent my fax about thirty minutes ago. I'll post the response here. I'm hoping for the best!
Tiffany

Postby yjg » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:57 pm

Tiffany, what do you have to put on the fax request? Just that you want an appointment for application for dual citizenship?
yjg

Postby Tiffany » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:06 pm

That's what I did and then gave all my contact information (name, address, phone number and email address). They do not seem to have any specific instructions for the fax. They also say you can come in to make an appointment, but I'm not sure how true this is as I overheard someone being told that they could not this winter while going to the consulate with my husband. However, Signore **** was out, so maybe if he is in the office, it would have been a different story.
Tiffany

Postby yjg » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:09 pm

Thanks, Tiffany. I look forward to seeing what kind of a response you get. The best of luck to you and to all of us!!!
yjg

Postby yjg » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:38 pm

Okay, just faxed in my request. Let's see what happens. I will also post my results.
yjg

San Francisco

Postby caputo » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:21 am

I also just spoke with Maurizio at the SF Consulate today and was told that appointment times were 3 - 5 years away. He told me there were more then 5000 appointment requests ahead of mine and then gave me the names of 2 Italian lawyers who could get the citizenship documents and passports in about 6 months time. I called the lawyers and was told that for them to help me they would have to get citizenship and passport for my father (deceased) and me. The price would be $8,200 ($4,100 each). When I asked about this price and how they could get a sooner appointment, he told me they don't go through the San Francisco Consulate but rather the Ministry of the interior in Italy and that is part of the expense. This all seems like a scam to me and although I do love Italy, it seems something very shady is going on. Has anybody found a way around this practice? Is there a way to go through a different consulate or speak to the Counselor Generale about this problem?
caputo

Postby Em » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:57 am

Tiffany and yjg, I am really looking forward to hearing the response from the consulates. Although my son went through NY, I think that this kind of attitude can be contagious, and, I agree, it sounds a bit like a scam. Keep us informed.
Em

Postby Tiffany » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:53 pm

This makes my blood boil and as it is my jurisdiction too, I am willing to take some action against this. I have started a thread over at another forum to collect advice: http://www.italylink.com/phpboard/viewtopic.php?p=5961 . Please post there if you have any (this just keeps responses contained and easier to find)

And yes, it does sound like a big fat scam. We are all legally allowed Italian citizenship. You especially should not have pay that amount of money for a citizenship you were born with. This sounds outrageous.
Tiffany

Postby Tiffany » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:37 pm

Did anyone happen to catch a last name for Maurizio? Caputo, could you give me the names of the two Italian lawyers he recommended?

Michelle and Caputo - when did you send in your requests? Any details you can give me will help.
Tiffany

Postby mich555444 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:13 am

I think I sent my request about the 20th of Feb. Maurizio gave me the attorneys phone number. I also have the consulates number he called me from .
Michelle
mich555444

Next

Return to Embassies and Consulates