RECENT NYC APPOINTMENT

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

RECENT NYC APPOINTMENT

Postby gregorio » Wed May 02, 2007 5:09 pm

Since I've gained alot of usefull information from this forum I thought I would also try to contribute to the cause.....

Had my appointment in NYC yesterday:
I am applying through my paternal great-grandfather
I started process in August '06
I had to reschedule appointments several times due to the fact that I couldn't find my great-grandparents birth and marriage certificates. I used Italiamerica and myitalianfamily. Despite going through ICGS first, they were not able to acquire the needed documents. My great-grandfather never naturalized so I had to provide information in this regard. I had applied through FOIA but I'am currently 55000/88000 (moving up!!!!) I decided to try my luck (after research and references of success through Italiamerica for a non-existence letter). Bottom line is the document they provided me didn't fly.... Therefore my appoinment turned into more of an informational meeting with Antonio Centola....

The meeting actually was very informative and proves that it will be possible but just not yet. We arrived early to the consulate, having a noon appointment and were seen basically as soon as we arrived (11:00) after filling out a one page form. They didn't give my dad and sister the forms. Hint: make sure the appointment made includes EVERYBODY applying. Mr. Centola was agreeable to have them fill them out later upstairs on the second floor.

Summary:
Wanted Great-grandfather's birth, marriage, death (Apostile)
Wanted Great-Grandmother's birth
Grandfather's birth, marriage, death (all with Apostile)
Father's birth and marriage (all with Apostile)

Then he stopped and said that since the document for non-existence letter was not adequate he could not go further but told me the rest that was needed (standard birth, marriage etc. with Apostile)

He sealed up the packet that he went through with his own stamps and gave it back to me telling me to bring it back once the no records letter comes without opening it.

HE TOLD ME (NEW FOR NEW YORK CITY) WILL REQUIRE TRANSLATIONS FOR MY DAD'S BIRTH AND MARRIAGE, MY BIRTH, MARRIAGE, MY BROTHER'S BIRTH, SISTER'S BIRTH AND MY CHILDREN'S BIRTH!!!! I didn't have these because it had been the routine that none were needed for NYC. The translations also need a notorized certificate of authenticity (anyone can translate them) for accuracy.

He also seemed to imply that it would be easier and faster to have just my father apply, get his citizenship paperwork and then have us apply afterwards. He said we wouldn't then need to make an extra appointment but could simply drop it off downstairs in an envelope (documents and translations)......

So it seems that I need only wait for the no records letter and get some translations. When I called today for the status of my no records letter the woman stated that since a certified letter was requested one will be provided when it is finally completed (which means it doesn't seem like it needs to go to another place) but people going this route should make sure it states a certified non existence letter.

He offered another appointment in September but I changed it right then to December knowing the FOIA time delays.......

Overall a nice experience, not wasted despite not getting him to accept the application.

He did require Form 4 for deceased great-grandfather AND grandfather (both deceased)
FORM 3 was required from my father (living)
Form 2 I signed
Form 1 he didn't want

Hope this helps,
Adesso, aspetto un po piu......
gregorio

Postby Em » Wed May 02, 2007 5:42 pm

Wow, things have certainly changed in the eight months since my son and I were there. The translation requirement is totally new. I wonder how it will work now, since many of the applications submitted before the change in requirements are still in the queue. I guess only time will tell.

It seems from your description that NY is moving in the direction of the other consulates. This is good in the sense that it means greater uniformity; but for those going through NY, the easier days appear to be over.
Em

Postby Mentor » Thu May 03, 2007 7:30 am

Since things have sure changed in eight months since you and your son were at the NY Consulate, I think it would be a good idea for the consulate to make sure they got you to sign the living ascendant document so you son can be "recognized", don't you?
Mentor

Postby Mentor » Thu May 03, 2007 7:35 am

.....It seems from your description that NY is moving in the direction of the other consulates. This is good in the sense that it means greater uniformity; but for those going through NY, the easier days appear to be over......

New York was always been in line with the other consulates. And by the way, the consulates don't bend the rules. You are either entitled or you're not. If the living ascendant doesn't sign, the descendant must wait until the ascendant is deceased and then present the death certifcate. But if the living ascendant is NOT Italian, even the death certificate won't work!!!!
Mentor

Postby Em » Thu May 03, 2007 8:42 am

Roberta, you are beginning to sound like a broken record. :lol:
Em

Postby jawonmain » Wed May 09, 2007 6:32 am

Gregorio-

I'm in a similar position to you- maternal great grandfather. I have a question on your documents. You needed the following:
- Wanted Great-grandfather's birth, marriage, death (Apostile)
- Wanted Great-Grandmother's birth
- Grandfather's birth, marriage, death (all with Apostile)
- Father's birth and marriage (all with Apostile)
- plus all applicants' birth and marriage (translated, Apostille)

Was your grandfather born in Italy? I thought they only needed death certs for Italian-born people.

And they specifically asked for your great grandmother's birth, even though she isn't in the direct line? Was she born in Italy?

Jason
jawonmain

Postby gregorio » Fri May 11, 2007 5:06 pm

I'am applying through PATERNAL great-grandfather......
They requested Great-grandparents birth certificates (from Italy)
Great-grandparents-marriage (from Italy)
Great-grandfather's death with Apostile (NY)
Grandfather's birth, marriage, death with Apostiles for all (NY)
Father's birth marriage with Apostiles for all (NY)

They wanted translations of all certificates in direct line

My grandfather was born in NY and is deceased
MY great-grandmother was born and married in Italy

I don't know why they needed my great-grandmother certificate but they asked for it (luckily I had it with me)

Hope this helps....
gregorio

Postby jawonmain » Wed May 16, 2007 1:29 am

Hey gregorio-

Some of these certs must be old. What originals did they want to keep? Did they let you keep the ones you wanted and just take photocopies?

Jason
jawonmain

Postby gregorio » Wed May 16, 2007 1:26 pm

They took the Italaian original certificates without photocopies. I had made photocopies for them but the consulate official did not want.
gregorio

Postby jawonmain » Wed May 16, 2007 2:32 pm

Did they take originals of other documents? Like parent's marriage, grandparent's birth or marriage, etc.?
jawonmain

Postby Jack » Wed May 16, 2007 5:43 pm

Bottom line is the document they provided me didn't fly....

Really? I wanted to go through Italiamerica (seeing as I don't want to have to wait until I'm an old man to get my “No Records” Letter). What did your consulate say was wrong with the document they provided? I don't want to waste $200 on a document the consulate won't accept.
Jack

Postby gregorio » Fri May 18, 2007 2:44 pm

Italiamerica has been great for me. I would recommend them without reservation.
I received my great-grandparents certificates through them without problems. They are great at communicating everything!!

With respect to the "no records letter" I have already sent out my FOIA, now 52000/85000!!!!!!

I used Italiamerica just to see if it would work. Unfortunately, it didn't in NY.

What they were able to suppy me was a document "no records letter" from the USCIS in about a month in addition to a NARA document as well as a County of New York no records document. They have stated that this same letter has worked in Houston, Miami and another consulate I forgot. They didn't know about NYC. Italiamerica said the consular official in NYC is WRONG in not accepting it! But what can I do!!!!

I plan on applying now down in Miami (I have a home there) once they resume applications with this same letter (its very official, with raised seal of Dept. of Homeland Security)

I'am sure everyone is very frustrated with the wait in regards to obtaining a No records letter through FOIA. I don't know another way to do it other than through this route if it works. Obviously, I have another way to try and if it doesn't work I'll wait for FOIA and apply through NY (easier for me to travel to) than Florida.
gregorio

Question for Gregorio

Postby CityKid » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:27 am

I have read your May 2007 posting regarding your appointment with the NYC consulate.

Could you tell me if the translations required were of the birth/marriage/death certificates only or of the separate New York City and New York State exemplifications attached to them as well?

And the consulate did require a translator's notarization for each document also?

Thank you.
CityKid

Postby hellosquire » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:29 pm

I was at the NYC Consulate in July. I didn't bother translating the exemplification letter, the apostilles, or any other little signatory notes attached to any of the documents. They didn't mind at all.

I did have the translator write a statement at the bottom of each translation confirming she translated everything truthfully to the best of her knowledge. I had this stamped by a notary as well.
hellosquire

Postby drovedo » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:35 am

nada
drovedo

Return to Embassies and Consulates