declaration of citizenship in a family line

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

declaration of citizenship in a family line

Postby rinaldo48 » Wed May 23, 2007 10:55 am

Hi, my appointment at the NYC consulate is coming up in June and I'm finishing up gathering all the necessary documents. I'm applying through my grandmother on my father's side. When I apply, is it necessary for my father to apply first before me, or does it not matter if I put in for my citizenship without my father putting in for it first? Is there a rule that concerns who must declare first in a family line?
rinaldo48

Postby arg1 » Wed May 23, 2007 11:20 am

I had the same question, who should apply first my mom or me? I asked the person in charge of the citizenship office in SF, she said that I could apply without my mom doing so at all. I don't believe that you would have to wait for your dad to apply before you. Are both of you applying together?
arg1

Postby Em » Wed May 23, 2007 6:43 pm

There is no rule about who must apply first. Generally, if both father and son are planning to apply, the father applies before the son, but this is not a requirement. My son has already applied; I did not; but I am free to do so later if I wish.
Em

Postby Joe T » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:56 pm

I am in an interesting, but not dissimilar situation.
My son (who's in high school) would like to apply for Italian citizenship.
Of course, he is a minor. My question is do I have to apply with him? I know that if I get Italian citizenship, he automatically gets it too, and that if he gets Italian citizenship, I am automatically recognized. I'm just not sure if he can apply without me applying.

Thank you very much,

Joe
Joe T

Postby Mentor » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:11 am

A minor cannot apply alone. You would have to start the process and if your son were still a minor when you became recognized, then he would be recognized too.
Mentor

Postby Joe T » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:40 am

Thank you very much.
Joe T

Return to Embassies and Consulates