Appointment in SF done!

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Appointment in SF done!

Postby arg1 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:06 pm

Hi,
I had my appointment in SF today, and I just thought I would share what happened. The appointment was for 10 this morning, and they were very punctual. The appointment itself took only about 25 minutes. I applied with my mom and little (and minor) brother. After Ms. Stone carefully looked over the documents she said that it would be about a 2 1/2 to 3 year wait because she is trying to work through a 10 month backlog of appointments; currently she's processing applications from 2006. The main concern I had going into the appointment was if the NARA records for my grandmother would be accepted since I didn't want to give up the original naturalization certificate and it seems that what is accepted varies from consulate to consulate. The NARA docs were all she needed plus a photocopy of the original naturalization certificate which I brought just in case. I ended up having documents and translations that I didn't need, but better safe than sorry I guess. Even though it's a long wait I'm relieved that the appointment is over and everything went well. It's already been said in other posts, but to reiterate, Ms. Stone is very professional, polite and knowledgable, I'm very glad to see her handling this. I guess I now officially join the ranks of those waiting for that certificate of citizenship :D .
Thanks for listening,

Marisa
arg1

Congrats!

Postby ben » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:35 pm

You said you were applying with your mother and little brother. Did they both have to be present with you at the appointment or can you apply for others if they live far from the consulate?
ben

Postby EUjoy » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:52 pm

OMG. 2 1/2 to 3 year wait?! that's unbelievable. i read that online but have been hoping it was (somehow) untrue.

i will be going thru the NYC consulate and i am desperate to move to the EU as soon as possible. does anyone know ANY way to expedite this process?

someone suggested i hire an immigration lawyer who might have 'connections' to help it go faster.

:?: :?:
EUjoy

Postby arg1 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:03 pm

Hi,
Ben- to answer part of the question, Ms. Stone who handles the citizenship issues at SF, said that my brother because he is still a minor did not need to be present. For my mom, because we needed separate applications but wanted to use the same documents, she came with me. I don't think that one can apply for others unless they are minors without their being present. I don't know how they work (since we didn't go that route) but mail in appointments for presenting the applications are also available (I believe).

EUjoy- The 2 1/2 to 3 year wait was for SF, which has quite a backlog. The wait for NY may not be so long. Others who may have looked into using lawyers will doubtlessly be more knowledgable than I am, but in a conversation at the SF consulate, the SF official told a couple that getting an attorney wouldn't be very helpful as a U.S. attorney has no jurisdiction in Italy and an Italian attorney has no jurisdiction in the U.S. It is unbelievable the wait; I too had hoped that what it said on the consulate website was a conservative time estimate, not a realistic one.

Good luck to you both,
Marisa
arg1

Return to Embassies and Consulates