WHAT DO I ASK THE COMUNE TO SEE IF I HAVE BEEN RECOGNIZED?

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

WHAT DO I ASK THE COMUNE TO SEE IF I HAVE BEEN RECOGNIZED?

Postby lilpokey » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:57 pm

HELLO,
Met with Rafaella at the Los Angeles consulate in September 2007. She accepted all of my fathers, mine and my daughters paperwork. She asked that my father sign a statement for name mispellings stating that they were one in the same person.

We had that notorized and mailed it to her (certified, return receipt) along with copies of our passports.

I have read about a lot of people on this message board contacting the comune and finding out their citizenship had been recognized, but I'm not sure exactly what to ask them.

Could someone give me a "sample" idea of what to say? Would I ask if we have received our citizenship yet? (because, aren't we already citizens by descent?). Or, have they approved it yet? (because the consulate said that they (the consulate) is the power that approves or disapproves. Or, would I ask about if a birth certificate has been made for me yet?

As you can see, I'm very confused about this aspect of writing to them!

The Los Angeles consulate has changed their rules and it is now posted on their web site. You can no longer call, fax or email them. They also do not allow walk-ins anymore at all.

Anything to do with citizenship must be done by appointment only.

We weren't given a case # when she accepted our paperwork either.
Thanks for all your help!

Lynn
lilpokey

Postby robert » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:00 am

I was waiting for several months for a response confirming my citizenship from the comune in Italy. The man at the consulate told me that i could write to the comune and request that they send to me a certified copy of my birth and marriage certificates as registered with them. I never got around to doing it but the last time I talked to him he said that he had a response from the comune. I don't know what the response was, but I will find out when I go to apply for my passport in a day or two.
robert

Incredible

Postby taliano » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:59 pm

I ran into the same issue... I was told from my consulate that my birth cert had been sent to the comune and it was basically out of the consulate's court... But if I wanted to progress this more quickly that I should speak with the comune in Sicilia ... message received.
taliano

Thank's for the info

Postby lilpokey » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:38 am

Thank you! I appreciate the help. I will try to contact the comune in Limosano. When I had ordered my great grandfather's birth certificates from them, I had them within 2 weeks!, so they do work quickly.

I hope the consulate has sent them the information...

It's been only 6 months since I met with Rafaella, but it seems many people have received their citizenship and were never contacted to let them know.

Lynn
lilpokey

Postby jd » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:06 pm

lilpokey,
just of out curiosity, did the LA consulate want any of the documents from the non-Italian side? i am applying through the paternal line and am missing my great-grandmother's death certificate. the NYC Dept. of Health and Mental Hygiene told me they were unable to find any her death record. this is the only document that is preventing me from going to the LA consulate and applying. i have every pertinent document apostilled and translated, but im just missing that final piece that would allow me to complete this puzzle. any bit of advice would be very helpful. thanks!
jd

Postby lilpokey » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:08 pm

Hi,
No they were only interested in the direct line. Everything else was inconsequential and they didn't even want to see it.

Hope this helps!

Lynn
lilpokey

Postby jd » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:43 pm

fantastic! thank you very much! it looks like i'll be heading down to the consulate a lot sooner than i had planned. i hope u hear from the consulate/comune soon. good luck!
jd

Return to Embassies and Consulates