empty feeling...Houston

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

empty feeling...Houston

Postby iverevi » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:31 am

I applied a month ago in Houston... Well, I handed over all of my hard-earned documents to a guy. No receipt, no application filled out, just a un-reassuring promise that they would get back to me in a few months. Will I ever hear back from them? Did I just loose all of my documents? Is there not a more formal way to apply so I know I am "in the system" ???
iverevi

Postby cammeresi » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:32 pm

As you should know, you will have to wait for your paperwork to be processed no matter which consulate you use. Welcome to Italy.

I'm not trying to be impolite, but you really need to just calm down and get a grip. Houston is one of the good consulates. Wait 3-6 months and if you haven't received the letter, send them an e-mail. They are VERY responsive to e-mails.
cammeresi

Postby iverevi » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:21 pm

Sorry if I seemed anxious. Including translations and apostiles, I spent a great deal of money and the whole process seemed very informal. I guess I just wanted some assurance that all you do is hand over the documents and there is no other process that somehow I missed or skipped. I didn't mean anything rude about the consulate. I lived overseas for several years so I know things work differently in different places.

Thanks for telling me to calm down... I probably needed that. :)

Take care
iverevi

Postby thechef65 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:58 am

I agree that everything should be fine. Your process is essentially the same thing that happened to me in Los Angeles and countless others here at various consulates. You will be contacted when your application is approved or when additional information is needed. Good luck.
thechef65

Houston Consulate

Postby Macossay » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:38 pm

I put in my application last October with the same feeling of trepidation. No receipt, no case number, nothing to verify I was in the system. I was waiting for them to give me the go ahead to get the apostilles. In January the Consulate put a notice on their web page that they were backlogged and not to contact them before April. At the beginning of May I sent them a letter and an email. No response to the letter. The email came back with a note that they were backlogged and not to contact them for 60 days. After 60 days I checked the web page and found a notice that they were backlogged and not to contact them before September.

Has anyone actually had an application processed this year?
Macossay

Postby Em » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:48 pm

I've only heard good things about the Houston consulate. I'm sure that, like all the other consulates, their workload has increased, but hang in there guys. It will happen.
Em

Houston Consulate

Postby Macossay » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:48 pm

Hmm. How recently did you hear good things, Em? I thought Dr. Susanna Sgoifo moved things along pretty well, but she went back to Italy in September 2007. I'm not certain she was ever replaced. The consulate put up a notice saying not to contact them and it has been up ever since. Are you aware of anyone whose application has moved forward since then?
Macossay

Postby Em » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:42 pm

Sorry, no I haven't. Maybe I'm a bit behind the times. :oops: For a long time, everyone was saying it was a great place to apply. Things change so rapidly, it's hard to keep up.
Em

Postby cammeresi » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:08 pm

I received my letter from Houston in April of this year. I have written to the new citizenship person by e-mail a couple of times, and he always replied within a day. The last time I e-mailed him was in March though.

In what language are you writing to him? Maybe it makes a difference. I always wrote to him in Italian. Or maybe he's just overloaded.
cammeresi

Houston

Postby Davide » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:52 pm

Dr. Susanna Sgoifo was one of the finest people I dealt with at the Italian Consulate in Houston. Following her direction to the letter, and after presenting all my documentation, I was recognized as a citizen of Italy in less than one month. I am sorry to hear she is no longer in Houston. She really was the very best.

I hope those of you who are now seeking your citizenship will contiune to find Houston helpful. In a sense, Houston should be easier to work wtih since the number of Italian Americans seeking citizenship recognition is not as large as say Boston, New York or San Francisco. I would say there are more "cowboys" than Italians in Texas. LOL. In any case, good luck!
Davide

Return to Embassies and Consulates