Boston & Adding Additional Family Members

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Boston & Adding Additional Family Members

Postby Vaccaro » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:47 pm

I think I've read a similiar Q &A on this somewhere on here previously but for the life of me can't find it.

I will be submitting my application in Los Angeles (the Consulate jurisdiction for where I live). I've seen/heard different responses to these two questions.

1. Can I submit my sister and her two children in my application?

2. If not, (note the jurisdiction for where they live is Boston) will Boston accept a copy of the acceptance letter for my citizenship (is that what you call it?), copies of full package I submitted and her additional vital records?

3. While I asking I just thought of a related question. Is there a choice of her husband receiving citizenship when she applies for herself and my nieces or does he get it automatically as my sister and nieces are added?

Thanks in advance.
Vaccaro

Re: Boston & Adding Additional Family Members

Postby Larry » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:49 am

I hope I am reading this correctly (and accurately responding : p)

1) If your sister and her two children live within the jurisdiction of the Boston consulate, they need to apply in Boston. They can not apply in LA and they need to apply on their own. You can not apply for them.

2) If you apply first, and are approved, Boston should be able to reference your file and only need your sister and her children to submit their own personal documents (their birth certificates, Marriage Certificates, Divorce Certificates and such). Your parents birth certificates, marriage certificate, death certificates should not be required again.

3) Males never automatically received citizenship from their female spouse upon marriage. Before a certain date in 1983, women who married an Italian man automatically received Italian citizenship, but this is no longer the case. If your brother in law and your sister have been married for more than 3 years he can apply for naturalization at the consulate once their marriage has been recorded in Italy (but it is a more complex process than jure sanguinis applicants go through). It would be an option open to him however, provided he is not a criminal and a threat to Italian national security, etc.

Hope this helps. Also, Boston is probably faster at processing applications than LA. It may be in your best interest for her to apply first and you reference her file... Sig. Corrao also translates his applicants documents for free...
Larry

Postby Vaccaro » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:12 am

Thank you Larry.

You said "Boston should be able to reference your file..." Reallly? Are you fairly confident? Sorry about that...It's just that I''m trying to not get too excited about any of this.

New Question:

My sister was not married when my niece was born. My niece was legally adopted when my sister married. Does it matter as the blood line goes through my sister? Which Vital Records would be required for her application? I do not know how my sister had the birth certificate filled out. Perhaps part of the answer starts there.

Thank again in advance.
Vaccaro

Postby Larry » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:16 am

I am fairly confident, yes. Others have done it in other consulates. I believe JLG has done it for many of his relatives in Boston. It should not be a problem. If anyone believes this would be an issue, please let us know.

If your niece was born to your sister, then she qualifies as well. It does not matter that she was born out of wedlock. I doubt she would need any adoption papers translated and submitted, provided of course that your sister is listed as her mother on her birth certificate.

You can have your sister call the Boston Consulate to get more details. Signor Corrao is a very nice and helpful guy.

Best of luck.
Larry

Return to Embassies and Consulates