Help! Will this block my application?

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Help! Will this block my application?

Postby EU Ahoy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:28 pm

I posted a couple of weeks ago that the consulate was not processing my application due to some name discrepancies with my father’s middle name (he was born under a different name and uses another now through common law usage) and a nickname for my grandmother (the line we are using) on his marriage certificate. He just came back from Italy yesterday and now claims that, instead of amending his middle name on his marriage certificate and my birth certificate, he is just going to try and claim that his “file is complete” and essentially try to leave the information pertaining to me out of the picture and have mine “fixed up within the year”; i.e. he will eventually amend his name...

Essentially, an already bad situation with the consulate has now resulted in essentially an entire rift between me and my father, as I was the one who found every single document and did all of the work for this application and find this to be unacceptable and selfish. I assume (and hope) that the consulate will deny his attempt to try and circumvent all of his name changes and force him to still amend the documents? Wouldn’t trying to get himself processed first in this manner (i.e. failing to acknowledge that he is married or has a son) essentially kill my application?

I had no idea this process would be so stressful. A month ago I thought I would possibly be an Italian citizen by the summer, now its made me consider withdrawing my application altogether over disgust at the consulate and, now, at my father. I can quite honestly say that this feels like being backstabbed and betrayed.

I don’t really know what to do at this point. He claims that this is all my fault because I asked the consulate general the status of our application a couple of weeks ago and went around the consulate officer (who always just responded with the 2.5 to 3 years thing...).

I apologize if this is hard to follow, but a lot has gone on in the last two weeks and I myself am kind of getting lost in it trying to balance my mid-terms and trying to fix this problem from afar. :cry:
EU Ahoy

Re: Help! Will this block my application?

Postby Tiffany » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:10 am

If he is planning to use the same consulate you are, then yes they will. Not all consulates make a fuss over the same discrepancies though, so it is possible for him to go to another and be successful. But then that's probably the one you should be using too if you do not want to amend the documents.

I'm very sorry to here about the rift this has caused. Your father's anger is woefully misplaced.
Tiffany

Postby EU Ahoy » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:36 am

Thanks for your response Tiffany! I should clarify the history a bit. We applied together through San Francisco two years ago, and all of the sudden last month they came back and said that we had to amend certain name discrepancies and that they had lost my grandparents' marriage certificate. What is annoying me even further is that he won't even tell the consulate that he is planning to 'jump ship' as it is until we get the missing marriage certificate again, meaning that he won't be amending anything for quite some time (or receiving a reprimand from the consulate for trying to do this either). The documents that need to be amended are from California, and he just isn't willing to wait the seven months required...And now the whole process has come to a screeching halt and he won't listen to me about anything. Just a terrible experience overall. :(
EU Ahoy

Postby Em » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:21 pm

I concur with Tiffany. This is a process that should bring families together, not pull them apart.

You may want to explore the possibility of submitting an application apart from your father or you may want to run this scenario by him. I assume you are still in possession of all the documents or that the consulate has them. My applications were submitted in New York and Newark, and I had a similar discrepancy in that my dad's name on his birth certificate was not consistent with the name he used throughout his life and the name on his marriage certificate and my birth certificate.

I amended my own birth certificate so the name was consistent with the name on HIS birth certificate. I did nothing with the marriage certificate. At both consulates the discrepancy on the marriage certificate was noted, BUT when I pointed out my amended birth certificate, the application was accepted. At least with me, the birth certificate/birth certificate accuracy was all the consistency that was required. No guarantees, but it may be worth a shot.
Em

Postby EU Ahoy » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:34 pm

Thanks for your advice Em! Everything has been sorted out now actually, and we are back on the same page. That's a good point with the marriage certificate too actually. If they allow him to register first I may just take my application out and apply again in London if its faster than amending. We'll see.

Thanks again everyone. :D
EU Ahoy

Postby Esatto » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:48 am

Sorry to hear about the rift with your father and hope that clears soon. If it were me I would leave the documents at SF and fix the amendment issues.
You don't know if the same discrepencies will or will not be a problem with the next consulate. It would be best to take the copies you have to the London consulate
and get their opinion. How much sooner will London process them? and the applicant would need to prove there is valid residency in London. Best wishes!!!!
Esatto

Return to Embassies and Consulates