Palermo-Sicily Comune Question

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Palermo-Sicily Comune Question

Postby Christina » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:24 pm

My documents are going to be registered at the comune in Palermo, Sicily. Just wondering if anyone else has been registered at that comune and if you know how long it took for them to register everything after you had received a letter from the consulate?

I have not received my letter from the consulate yet, but just want to get an idea of how many more months I should expect.

Grazie! :D
Christina

Re: Palermo-Sicily Comune Question

Postby Em » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:39 pm

Does LA ask you to wait for registration before you are permitted to get a passport? Some do and some don't.
Em

Postby Christina » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:33 am

I have read posts here where people have said the LA consulate tells them to wait 2 months before applying for a passport. Seems it's a standard thing they tell everyone....not sure if it's because they expect the registration to be done in that time or not. Originally, the consulate told me that I wouldn't receive a letter from them until my registration was actually complete at the comune. On another occasion, they told me that the letter would come from the consulate....not sure what to believe.
Christina

Postby zagnut » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:44 am

If one is in a hurry, the easiest thing to do is contact the stato civile in your comune and ask if you've been registered. Contact info is available online http://www.comuni.it.
zagnut

Postby Christina » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:48 pm

Thanks for the link. At this time there is no reason for me to contact the comune since my application has not been processed yet. The LA consulate is still working on March/April 08 applications. I submitted mine in May 08.

I am just wondering if it's possible to get the passport before everything is registered. And if not, how long does registration typically take....specifically regarding the Palermo comune.
Christina

Postby zagnut » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:48 pm

I am just wondering if it's possible to get the passport before everything is registered. And if not, how long does registration typically take....specifically regarding the Palermo comune.

My understanding is LA says to wait 2 months and then apply for passport.
zagnut

Return to Embassies and Consulates