Still Missing GGM and GGF Marriage Certificate

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Still Missing GGM and GGF Marriage Certificate

Postby mtedaldi@charter.net » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:45 pm

Hi!

Yes, I am writing again... this time to ask everyone's opinion. My appointment is at the NY Consulate
on July 21, 2009. Trying to get Jure sanguinis through GGF. I have ALL required docs EXCEPT Marriage
Cert of GGM and GGF.

Since my last posting, I was told of the possibility of their marriage taking place in 1882 in Champagne region of France. So, I have written to every Centre Genealogique in that region - so far, to no avail.

I have written to over 100 communi both in Parma and Piacenza, including churches, where, originally I thought the marriage might have occurred since both birth certificates were found in Bardi, Parma - NON RISULTA.

I am collecting letters to show the Citizenship officers that I have worked hard and could not find document.
I will bring as proof! I DO HAVE their original, official Italian document passport of 1891 which states that they were married.

My questions are: 1. Do you think that the Passport will suffice? Has the consulate been known to waive any missing document, ever? 2. Does anyone know of a good French geneaologist that might be able to help me?

Thanks to all in advance! Can't wait to hear what you have to say....

I
mtedaldi@charter.net

Re: Still Missing GGM and GGF Marriage Certificate

Postby Tiffany » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:52 pm

I honestly don't think it will be a big deal. Show them the passport and tell them you tried. It shouldn't matter if they were married or not anyway. What matters most is the birth certificate which will show an unbroken chain from your ancestor to you.
Tiffany

Postby mtedaldi@charter.net » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:09 pm

Thanks Tiffany!

I hold your opinion in high regard as yours is a familiar name on this site! I'll continue to search,
but not as desperately as before...you've given me hope!
Ciao,
Marie
mtedaldi@charter.net

Postby Tiffany » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:22 pm

I am glad. Do bring all the evidence that you tried with you too. All those letters says non risulta will also help prove that though they were married, no record exists. Has no bearing on your eligibility and I think that as long as the consulate sees that you tried to furnish this document, they will let it slide. I can't promise you anything though.
Tiffany

Postby yjg » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:04 am

I could not find a civil marriage record for my great grandparents marriage either. I did find a sacramental marriage certificate from the Archdiocese, however, which I had apostilled and translated (my GGP were married in the US). You might try finding a church record instead. I did only contact three civil places where I thought they could have been married and the letter they sent back stating "no record," I then apostilled and translated (probably overkill but I wasn't taking any chances!). I applied at the SF consulate and she seemed fine with it, especially the "no record" letters which showed I tried.
yjg

Postby Esatto » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:35 pm

If you are near a Morman Church you can order birth records for many European cities on microfilm. I am not sure about what French records they have but it is worth a try.
Death certificates would show, a census if you have one, or birth/baptismAL records of their other children would show them as man and wife. These would be good support documents.
Esatto

Postby zagnut » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:52 am

You can check to see if they have records for the city at http://www.familysearch.org. Go to Library catalog.
zagnut

Return to Embassies and Consulates