Applying in NY or Newark?

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Applying in NY or Newark?

Postby kellycares » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:33 pm

I have read several of the posts and it appears that some people applied both in NY and in Newark. I live in NJ and assumed that I would need to apply in Newark. But, I have also read the posts that indicate that NY moves more quickly than Newark. Must I apply in Newark or can I apply in NY? Where will I get a faster response?
Thanks.
kellycares

Re: Applying in NY or Newark?

Postby Tiffany » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:04 pm

You must apply to the consulate that has jurisdiction over where you live.

This is looking like the Newark Consulate for you, depending on the county you live in:

http://www.ambwashingtondc.esteri.it/Am ... consolare/
Italian Consulate NEWARK
One Gateway Center - Suite 100
Newark, NJ 07102
Tel.: (973) 643-1448
Fax: (973) 643-3043
Homepage: http://www.consnewark.esteri.it
E-mail: segreteria.newark@esteri.it
Jurisdiction: New Jersey [The following counties (*): Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris, Passaic, Sussex, Union, Warren].(*) For visa requests, residents of these counties must contact the Consulate General in New York.
Tiffany

Postby kellycares » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:52 pm

Thanks again. I just hope it does not really take a few years.
You seem to be quite knowledgeable. My siblings want me to apply for them in NJ, but they reside in CA (Near SF). Can I do this since we are all applying for citizenship through our father?
kellycares

Postby Tiffany » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:56 am

Unfortunately, no. Anyone wanting to apply has to do it themselves. They will have to make appointments at the SF consulate and appear in person.
Tiffany

Postby Em » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:58 am

I apologize if my posts caused any confusion because I DID apply in both NY and Newark. But mine was a special case. I submitted an application in NY with my son, who is a NYC resident (I was trying to use his address). I was told that my application would not be processed because my residence is in NJ; but they continued to process my son's application, and I applied in Newark with another set of documents.

NY, however, neglected to remove my application from my son's file, and when he got his letter, I got one too--his address. I obtained a passport, withdrew my Newark application, and transferred my information to Newark through AIRE. It was, admittedly, a most unusual scenario.
Em

Postby Tiffany » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:17 pm

Yes, but you applied at a time before Newark was handling citizenship applications! You were following the rules then. However, there are new rules now. Admittedly, they changed the rules on your midway through, so it was only fair that you got grandfathered in to the old rules!
Tiffany

Postby Em » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:27 pm

No, I wasn't following the rules at all. Newark was, at the time, a Vice Consulate of New York, but, unlike other Vice Consulates, it processed citizenship applications for its jurisdiction. I lived in the Newark jurisdiction, but I wanted to apply in NYC with my son, and I thought I could fudge with the rules simply by using his address. But without solid evidence of residency, NY sent me back to Newark; I got lucky when they apparently forgot that they did this. My completed application was filed with my son's papers, and they processed it with his.

Of course, I didn't know this would happen so I then did what I was supposed to do initially and applied in Newark.

I just wanted to clarify, that I was always supposed to apply in Newark. My NY application was my attempt to circumvent the rules, and it was rightly rejected in NY. In my case it worked out because they forgot to remove my papers, but you really are supposed to apply at the consulate serving your jurisdiction.
Em

Postby Tiffany » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:15 pm

Ah, did not know that Em. I thought Newark had just begun processing citizenship. Thank you for clarifying.
Tiffany

Return to Embassies and Consulates