Can I send the documents on my own after appointment

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Can I send the documents on my own after appointment

Postby Prezza09 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:52 pm

Hi I just found this website I have been doing all this on my own with advice from family members. I started the process a few years ago but with different things going on in my life it got delayed. I was born and raised in Canada but my family is Italian. The reason why I never submitted my documents is because I left Canada (currently living in Argentina)

I got a question. I recieved all of my documents quite fast because my "Zio" (his father and my great grandfather are brothers) is il sindaco of the Comune where my grandparents were born and because my grandparents are still alive (they kept everything, for my mother to use). Is it possible to just get my consulate notarize or sign (whatever they do) my documents and then I just personally mail (express post) to my Zio's house and then he just files the papers and boom im done?

Also, I filled out the application months ago, is it possible to be submitted without me being present? I know people here in Argentina, were never present when submitting a document because it was delivered by a service. The reason I say this is because my documents are in Canada and I was recently offered a job (for the 2nd time) in Spain and would love to get my EU passport so I can be legal (this time). There is no way for me to get to Canada before I arrive in Spain (june).

Thanks in advance for your help!
Joe.
Prezza09

Re: Can I send the documents on my own after appointment

Postby EU Ahoy » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:18 pm

I think that, in North America and Europe at least, you need to physically attend your appointment unless you live very far away from the consulate of your jurisdiction. That being said, if you go to Spain I would apply there rather than Argentina because there is supposed to be a huge backlog of a few years in all of the Brazillian and Argentinian consulates. Regardless, you can only apply where you hold residency.

The consulates approve the applications, so I doubt that you can just send them to be registered to your commune. If you have any name discrepancies they can give you a lot of trouble as well.

Anyways, this process can take years, so there's no way you would be processed anywhere by June with a passport in hand. Wherever you decide to apply, you should make your appointment asap, as the wait for one can vary from next week to two years away.

Others will probably fill in or correct anything that I might have said in error

Good Luck!
EU Ahoy

Postby zagnut » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:51 am

If your Zio the sindaco has told you he'll do that, you could try it. You must be resident in the comune to apply there, but he may know of a loophole unknown to us.

You would need to ask your consulate in Canada if they allow mail-ins. Are you still legally resident there?

Submitting your application in Canada now would seem unlikely to give you an EU passport to live in Spain by June. Does your job in Spain not provide a work visa?

Alternatively you could have someone mail you the docs from Canada, take them with you to Spain, and apply there at the Italian consulate.

As for all North American consulates requiring physical attendance of appointment, Lobezno, resident in Tennessee mailed his application to Detroit, and also mailed them his passport application. It's tough to generalize about the consulates- they vary too much.
zagnut

Postby Prezza09 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:57 am

Name changes are unnecessary considering I will be getting it through my mother no? My grandparens are still alive and have all their documents.

Somethings I never mentioned:
We also own a house in the city in which my Zio is sindaco.
I also have my Codice Fiscale card and a bank account in Italy as well. How I got that? Just want to city hall in our city and asked and they gave it too me. Fotocopied my Passport and Drivers License.
My mother is a citizen.

What I meant was, mailing the documents (or simply have my mother bring them in, seeing as it wont be the first time we've been there) to the consulate, and then after signed and stamped, sending them on my own to my uncles for processing. I've been back and forth to Italy quite a bit through my life and now I want to be recognized as a citizen, just as other members of my family are. I didnt even know this was possible until 2 years ago! So it never occurred to me to apply. And now been offered this job in Spain. Anywho, I hope this all makes sense to you.
Thanks,
Joe.
Prezza09

Postby EU Ahoy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:12 pm

Oh I see. I either didn't see it or I don't think that you mentioned that your mother was a citizen. I just read about the great grandfather connection with your Zio and was under the impression that the connection was more distant. Apologies.

Anyways, I would think that you would have a very easy time applying if your mother is a citizen! You probably could ask if you could just be registered by your Zio in the commune I guess? But, as Zagnut said, the problem here is always where you actually hold residency. But then again, alot of times connections can do wonders :).

I am unsure of how your case would work out since most posters here are reclaiming citizenship that has been dormant for a generation or more and have to prove their connections with tons of documents. You should probably just e-mail your consulate and ask what the procedure for registration as a child of a citizen would be to get a definitive answer.

Sorry about the confusion!

Cheers
EU Ahoy

Postby Prezza09 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:41 pm

Thank you so much for the reply. I failed to mention that previously about my mother. I guess it would be different. My friend was in a similar position as me and it only took her 1 month to do. I just was confused about where to send things.

My family is still very much attatched to their native country (italy). As I said, we have a house there and for me to get a bank account, or social security # etc...was very easy. I simply went to city hall on my own.

Thanks again for your reply.
Joe.
Prezza09

Return to Embassies and Consulates