Suggestion for applying in New York

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Suggestion for applying in New York

Postby JM » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:31 pm

Hi to all.

I received my Italian citizenship last year thru Miami. They don't require death certificates, which was great for me as my GF's death certificate has his last name spelled with a "cki" instead of a "chi" and has his father's first name completely wrong.

Since Miami didn't require the death certificate I had no reason to amend it. It is a New York CITY document as he died in Staten Island. His informant has been dead for about 30 years and so I believe the only way to amend the certificate would be with a court order. Here is my reason for asking:

My mother and I both received our Italian citizenship in Miami last year. One of my many cousins lives in New York and he would like to apply for his Italian citizenship. His mother and my mother are sisters. His application would be very straight forward as his parents married on Staten Island, both died on Staten Island, he was born and married on Staten Island and he still lives on Staten Island. I can supply him with the documents he would need for our grandparents from the comune as well as the NARA paperwork for our grandfather. The problem is my GF's death certificate. New York consulate seems to need this document.

I am wondering if they would overlook the death certificate spelling differences from my GF since Miami recognzied my mom already and she is the Aunt to this cousin. Any one know how New York currently treats these things?

Thanks
JM

Re: Suggestion for applying in New York

Postby Em » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:37 pm

Of course you know there are never guarantees, but I tend to think this will not be a problem. My grandfather's death certificate also had errors--specifically, his parents' names (both of them) were totally incorrect. My grandmother, who provided the information, either forgot their names or wanted to forget them. :wink:

In any case, the consulate paid close attention to birth and naturalization documents but barely looked at the Death Certificate. The discrepancy you describe seems an obvious typographical error or a misreading of the handwritten information. I think it'll be ok.
Em

Postby JM » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:44 pm

Thanks Em,
I hope it stays that way when they go for their appointment. Actually it wasn't a typo. My aunt, the informant, didn't like that people mispronounced their last name all the time, so she changed the spelling one day from -cchi to -ccki. It preserved the Italian pronounication but has caused nothing but problems ever since.

My mom and her twin brother were the only siblings still at home when this aunt made the decision to change the name. So most of my aunts and uncles have the original spelling and it's confused even more now as I changed my mom's marriage and my birth to the original spelling when I applied for Italian citizenship last year.

So now, my siblings have my mom's maiden name with the -ccki spelling and my birth certificate has my mom's maiden name as the 'cchi spelling. I think I will have to get in contact with NY City to see about amending her marriage certificate one more time and making it list both spellings instead of one or the other. I don't even want to think about trying to get New York State to amend our birth certificates to show both spellings on them.

Oh well, I guess future family geneologists will have fun figuring out what happend with the family name in 2008.
JM

Postby idmaclean » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:27 pm

i have my great grandfathers and grandmothers death certificates.

everything is fine with them....

I am applying in NY.

Do i really need to have them apostilled and translated? I was under the impression that this was not necessary..
idmaclean

Postby Em » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:36 pm

Apostilles--most definitely. You may not need to translate the Death Certificate; I believe someone wrote that it was not necessary, but I translated mine. My philosophy has always been: It's better to have too much than too little.
Em

Postby idmaclean » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:46 pm

OK

I guess better be safe than sorry

it just seems overkill.

I will already be providing marriage and birth. I didn't think death was necessary.
idmaclean

Postby valentinaroan » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:43 pm

JM, I am currently in the process of having my ggf's death certificate corrected in NYC. In order to change a name on a death cert., NYC requires a letter from the hospital where the person passed away. I was lucky enough to be able to convince the hospital to write this; even though my ggf passed away more than 40 years ago. However, the corrections unit in NYC is a bit backed up; it's taken me three months to get this one document corrected. Luckily, it should be resolved in the next few days.
valentinaroan

Postby JM » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:53 pm

Valentinaroan,

Wow, thanks so much for posting this. It is exactly what I was looking for. I will see if my cousin wants to contact Roslyn Memorial Hospital in New York and ask about getting them to write a letter.

WHO or what department did you write to at the hospital to ask for the changes?

In my last conversation with the correction unit, they said they would not "correct" a certificate to have both spellings or use an "AKA also known as" because then it isn't a correction. (Such as a typo or error in reporting something).

One the one hand, I would like to just correct it so that it shows his actual last name. On the other hand though, given that my mom and my uncle and one aunt used the unoffically changed name, some of the siblings and/or cousins might not like it is I correct it to what it should have been. That is why ideally I would prefer to have it list both spellings.

I will see if the hospital will write a letter though and then let all the family decide how to handle it.
Thanks again for your input, it is appreciated,

Still, your news is good and
JM

Postby idmaclean » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:17 pm

I just want to be certain here... my NY appointment is not until november, but that will come up fast.

I am only using the birth and death certificates of the descendants in my direct line. for instance i do not intend to provide my great grandmothers vital docs nor my grandfathers nor my fathers.....
idmaclean

Postby JM » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:19 pm

yes, you are correct, just in the direct line. Good to be prepared ahead of time. Good luck in November
JM

Postby idmaclean » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:27 pm

very good. thanks for the prompt reply.
idmaclean

Postby valentinaroan » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:25 am

JM, glad I could be of help! The medical records office was the one who eventually wrote the letter. However, it did take a bit of convincing them on my part. First I called, and they said they wouldn't do it because was ggf had passed away so many years ago. So then I sent a letter by certified mail explaining my situation. After a couple of weeks passed and I hadn't heard anything, I called again, and spoke to someone else. She was nice, and agreed to write the letter, after I sent her additional birth certificates, and my certified copy of my ggf's (incorrect) death certificate. About a week after that I received the letter from the hosiptal, along with all of the documentation that I had originally sent. Of course, every hopsital is different, but I thought I'd let you know my experience, just so you have something to go from :D .

Unfortunately, I don't know about the aka situation... However, what I can tell you is, the Corrections unit in NYC plays by the book. I've had a difficult time convincing them to do anything :? Also, for a sense of time, in my case, I first contacted the hospital in October, got the letter in December, submitted my paperwork to NYC in December, and now, tomorrow I am stopping by the office to pick up my corrected documents.
valentinaroan

Return to Embassies and Consulates