What's really necessary in NYC

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

What's really necessary in NYC

Postby Del Vecchio » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:07 pm

Hello,

I'm applying through category 7 juris sanguis, my great grandfather was an italian citizen and never naturalized. My question is about filing in NYC, do I really need my paternal great grandmother's and paternal grandmother's birth and death certificates? I was of the mind that only the males in the direct line were necessary, if that's where the connection lies.

Also if anyone has suggestions about the most efficient apostille/translation option in NYC, that'd be helpful too.

Thanks!

Eric
Del Vecchio

Re: What's really necessary in NYC

Postby Em » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:08 am

You need only submit documents in the direct line (male or female); everything else will be returned to you. I did my own translations. See my PM.
Em

Postby memmori » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:55 pm

EM,

Are you sure that you only need the direct line documents? I ask this because the NY consulate's info packet says that you need the "non-Italian" line as well.
memmori

Postby Em » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:28 pm

Yes, I'm certain. For more than a year now the NY consulate has been using the uniform set of instructions adopted by most consulates. It's pretty much standard. Unfortunately for those beginning the process, the instructions do not always reflect requirements at all consulates, and this leads to much confusion. That's why forums like these are invaluable.

New York (and Newark BTW) requires only documents from the direct line. I should add, though, that they did ask for my husband's information (birth certificate/naturalization), so that may be the exception.
Em

Postby memmori » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:29 am

EM,

Do you know where I can find the "uniform set of instructions"? Is it in writing some where?
memmori

Postby Em » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:39 am

http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/NR/rdo ... NSHIP5.doc

Click where it says: "Download the Information Kit Here."
Em

Postby memmori » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:49 pm

EM,

Thanks for the help. Not to beat a dead horse but, I am catagory 4 and that info kit does say that the non-Italian docs are required. Please look at it again and tell me what I am missing.

Thanks,

MEM
memmori

Postby Tiffany » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:53 pm

Em's point is that they are uniform instructions that are not accurate at every consulate, particularly NY where only documents for those in the direct line are really required. But by all means, follow the uniform instructions to be on the safe side!
Tiffany

Postby memmori » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:56 pm

Oh, I misunderstood EM....now I understand.

Thanks,

MEM
memmori

Postby mjc163 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:34 pm

Hi I'm just starting out in NYC and I would like to know if I'm required to have the documents translated? There's been conflicting info on many websites. IGCS FAQ page says NYC will translate them. Is this true?
Thanks
mjc163

Postby Tiffany » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:09 pm

I think they now require you to translate them yourself. They used to translate them, but I think this practice stopped about a year and a half ago to two years ago.
Tiffany

Postby mjc163 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:03 pm

Hi Tiffany,
Thanks for the info. I called the Consulate in NY this afternoon and they told me ALL documents must be translated.
mjc163

Postby Em » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:57 pm

When I was in, they required that all documents be translated. I did my own, which is acceptable in New York. Of course, you don't have to translate apostilles, letters of exemplification and naturalization documents. The declarations also do not need translations.
Em

Return to Embassies and Consulates