US Citizen Living in London

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

US Citizen Living in London

Postby john.curran » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:00 am

Greetings,

I am new to this board and look forward to a long and productive interaction with all members.

I am an American living in the UK. I believe that I qualify for Italian citizenship through my grandfather -> mother. At the moment, we are working on establishing that he never became a naturalized American citizen (fun, fun, I get to prove a negative). So to the question: given that the fact pattern is established using US information, can I apply to the Italian Consulate in London? The FAQ says no, but others on the boards and on other sites suggest we can. I have sent an email to the Consulate but have had no reply.

So, question number two: if I am not allowed to apply in the UK, where do I apply in the US? Can I cherry pick the US Consulate? As an example, as we will not have evidence of my grandfather's US naturalization, it would appear that Baltimore would be the best place to apply.

Thanks in advance to all who help.

Best,

John
john.curran

Re: US Citizen Living in London

Postby bsctky21 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:57 am

I'm a US citizen living in Tokyo. My would-be Italian Consulate in the US redirected me to Tokyo where my application was accepted without any problems...and a MUCH shorter waiting time! So, regardless of your country of citizenship, you apply where you live. For you, that would mean London.

I also noticed what it said on the FAQ page several months ago and e-mailed the site administrator. He responded saying that the page was incorrect and that he'd notify the person in charge. Looks like it hasn't changed, though :wink:
bsctky21

Re: US Citizen Living in London

Postby Em » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:07 am

You can most definitely apply in London--in fact, you have no other choice. You apply at the consulate that serves the jurisdiction in which you are a legal resident. For you, it's London--lucky, lucky; it's a good one.
Em

Return to Embassies and Consulates