New Info On SF Processing Times?

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

New Info On SF Processing Times?

Postby ivaniannoli » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:17 pm

[I posted a similar question a few months back, sorry for the redundancy]

Just wondering if anybody has updated info on SF's staffing / processing times. There's been some rumors that they've hired somebody else and therefore they're moving quicker, but when I asked Anna Maria Stone in July if that was so, she laughed and said she wishes, but no. Then, shortly after that, my mother ran into somebody who applied late last year and received their letter within 4 months. I've emailed Ms. Stone a few times asking her what the status is on all this, but I haven't received a reply yet.

Lots of rumors out there, I know. Anybody have firm, solid information?

Thanks!
ivaniannoli

Re: New Info On SF Processing Times?

Postby Tiffany » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:46 pm

Miss Stone had someone helping out with older applications while she focused on newer applications. As of February 2009, they were in late spring/early summer 2006 I believe. However, I hear there have been budget slashes and I am uncertain whether Ms. Stone still has help. This could delay processing times unfortunately.
Tiffany

Postby yjg » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:48 pm

Tiffany, wasn't it 2007? I think someone recently posted success who applied in February 2007.
yjg

Postby penguindump » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:08 pm

It seems that they've been kind of all over the board. While they had the extra person in the citizenship department, I know they were processing new applications in record time (one person applied on a Monday and received their letter on Saturday of the same week even).

I recall reading that someone recently received their letter who had applied in February '07 as well. I heard they have been contacting 2006 and 2007 applicants who were missing documents that applied with whomever was taking applications while Mrs. Stone was not there.. So, they've processed at least some early 2007 applications.

Now if they'd work their way into the summer of 2007......... hehehe :mrgreen:
penguindump

Postby Tiffany » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:11 am

yjg wrote:Tiffany, wasn't it 2007? I think someone recently posted success who applied in February 2007.

No, I'm pretty sure it was 2006. But if they are up to 2007 now, great!
Tiffany

Postby penguindump » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:25 am

Yeah, it was here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3871

:D
penguindump

Postby DoreenJoy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:23 pm

I applied on November 12, 2008 and received my letter on November 18, 2008. The letter was dated November 14, so it took them only two days. I had the passport less than 24 hours after applying for the passport.

When I applied, Mrs. Stone said: "I'm sure you've heard it could take up to two or three years. However, we are experimenting with a new process so you should hear much sooner than that." She didn't give me a time frame, so I was expecting I'd hear in a year or so. I was shocked to get the letter less than a week after my appointment.

Here's hoping that they are caught up on the backlog soon. I know some of you have been waiting for years.

My husband will be applying for citizenship jure matrimonius next week. I'll let you all know if that process is longer or about the same. He definitely got an appointment much faster than I did (It took me 13 months from phone call to appointment).
DoreenJoy

Postby penguindump » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:16 am

That's so amazing.. 2 days!
penguindump

Postby Tiffany » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:39 pm

DoreenJoy wrote:My husband will be applying for citizenship jure matrimonius next week. I'll let you all know if that process is longer or about the same. He definitely got an appointment much faster than I did (It took me 13 months from phone call to appointment).

The process will be longer since jure matrimonis applications are not processed in house. These are actually sent to Rome for approval where they have mandated that they have 2 years to approve. She will likely tell you it will take 1.5 to 2 years.
Tiffany

Postby ivaniannoli » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:39 pm

Just read in another post that they did in fact hire somebody else to help, but that he was promptly let go due to budget cuts:

penguindump wrote:Yes, I received an email from the consulate saying that Rome cut the budget for 2009; forcing them to let the second person go.

So, it looks like we're back to a several-year wait. This is unfortunate news. Sorry, team.

Still: something to look forward to.
ivaniannoli

Postby penguindump » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:25 pm

They had the extra person for the better part of 2008 I believe, so they were able to catch up on a lot of the backlog. I'm just so thankful we have Mrs. Stone - it's like having Cristiano Ronaldo, Carlos Tevez, and Fernando Torres :D
penguindump

Postby giovanni » Thu May 21, 2009 1:12 am

ivaniannoli wrote:[I posted a similar question a few months back, sorry for the redundancy]

Just wondering if anybody has updated info on SF's staffing / processing times. There's been some rumors that they've hired somebody else and therefore they're moving quicker, but when I asked Anna Maria Stone in July if that was so, she laughed and said she wishes, but no. Then, shortly after that, my mother ran into somebody who applied late last year and received their letter within 4 months. I've emailed Ms. Stone a few times asking her what the status is on all this, but I haven't received a reply yet.

Lots of rumors out there, I know. Anybody have firm, solid information?

Thanks!

To receive your citizenship in 4 months is very fast and there were probably very special circumstances surround that. I applied through SF in April of 2005 and received my citizenship in September of 2008. That is a standard wait time. I heard that is was up to three years now. I wouldn't be calling and emailling the consulate. If you submitted your paperwork and it was all fine, you just have to wait it out. There is nothing they can do to speed up the process. I worked with Anna and she was great through the whole process. If she processed your application, you have nothing to worry about. I know it can be frustrating waiting but that is the way it is. When you finally get your citizenship and passport, it will be well worth it!
giovanni

Postby giovanni » Thu May 21, 2009 1:15 am

penguindump wrote:It seems that they've been kind of all over the board. While they had the extra person in the citizenship department, I know they were processing new applications in record time (one person applied on a Monday and received their letter on Saturday of the same week even).

I recall reading that someone recently received their letter who had applied in February '07 as well. I heard they have been contacting 2006 and 2007 applicants who were missing documents that applied with whomever was taking applications while Mrs. Stone was not there.. So, they've processed at least some early 2007 applications.

Now if they'd work their way into the summer of 2007......... hehehe :mrgreen:

Whoever told you that is pullilng your leg. There is no way that could have happened within that time period. It takes more time for the paperwork to get to Italy and recorded and processed than that! I applied in April of 2005 and received my citizenship in September of 2008--a standard wait time. I heard, from prett reliable sources, that it is about a 3 year wait now. There are some applications that are processed faster for reasons that the consualte will determine but usually a standard wait time of 2 1/2-3 years is what is going on.
giovanni

Postby penguindump » Thu May 21, 2009 1:22 am

Depends on which part you're referring to:

The person who received their citizenship within the same week actually posted in this thread - DoreenJoy. Her application took two days.

The person who told me they were contacting people from '06/'07 about their applications was the Consul General.

I read in another thread that since you applied in SF, you have relocated to Southern California. It seems that things have changed up here in SF since you left. While they had two citizenship officers processing applications; one person worked on old applications while the other took appointments and processed new applications. I don't believe they are sending all of the documents to Italy and waiting to get word back to send out people's citizenship letters.

If you look around in a few other SF threads, you will see a timeline for people who applied in SF; including the dates they applied and the dates they received their letter (if applicable).
penguindump

Postby penguindump » Thu May 21, 2009 1:25 am

Here you go:

penguindump wrote:So abx415 began a list of applicants at SF a few months ago.. and I thought I'd add to it to see where we're at.

[received 03/06/09] Livorno888 03/06/06
[received 01/24/09] Esatto 06/01/06
[received] EU Ahoy 01/01/07
[received 02/21/09] cynannmarie 02/07
penguindump 06/06/07
eatncake 07/07
marciatrouton 09/07
abx415 12/07
yjg 12/19/07
jamato 02/10/08
Karena 03/12/08
magendim 05/20/08