New Info On SF Processing Times?

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Re: New Info On SF Processing Times?

Postby Cynders » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:54 pm

Just an FYI here regarding appointments.

I emailed the SF consulate on Friday 8/7/09, requesting an appointment. I received an automated reply which included the information that their appointments for citizenship applications are booked until April 2011. Seriously.

If I hear anything different, I'll post an update. It's quite discouraging to hear of others who have a wait of only a month or less to get an appointment. Too bad I can't relocate!

Good luck, everyone. :D Cinzia
Cynders

Postby jgenduso » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:46 pm

I requested an appointment on 7/15 in SFO and recived a response back on 7/20.

My appointment is for 4/5/2011.

That only gives me 20 months to get all my docs together :)

Joseph
jgenduso

Postby GottiGrandson » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:54 am

It is indeed a shame that the long wait times have returned. I wish all of those who are currently waiting a swift resolution.

Just so there's no misunderstanding, and so no one feels they're crazy or spreading rumors:

For a brief, shining moment during 2008, it was indeed possible to apply and receive confirmation of citizenship (i.e., final resolution and full citizenship recognition from Italy) within a shockingly short period of time. I was one of those people. I applied at the beginning of September 2008 (meaning my appointment date for submission of documents, which I did by mail, was at the beginning of September, 2008). I received my letter, with the accompanying certificate from the Consolato Generale, at the beginning of October, 2008, confirming my Italian citizenship. I further received my letter from the Comune in which I am registered in Italy several weeks later, with a printout of my AIRE entry. All this happened within a two month period. I was as surprised as anyone. These types of success stories did, indeed, occur; they are not message board myth. I wish it could still happen that quickly, but it would seem circumstances have again changed.

I'm so very sorry for those who are waiting, but I don't want anyone to discount the fact that, for some, the situation was different.

Buona fortuna a tutti!
GottiGrandson

Postby ntwrkwizard » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:32 am

Although I'm not here to create speculation, warning, or false hopes I can tell you that I applied on 4/23/09, turned around due to incomplete documentation and translations was instructed by the lovely Ms. Stone to drop off new materials (which I did a month after my appointment) and here my brother and I stand four months later with letters of acceptance and recognition of citizenship dated 8/20/09.

Some detail:
- I applied with my brother
- my paperwork was simple documentation from deceased Grandfather and Father to me
- my brother was more complex with divorces, decrees, ex-wife and current wife submissions, children, etc....
- we provided single originals of our "common" documentation
- amended all documents required
- documented the discrepancies (not a problem here since the last name didn't change but first names were "americanized")
- all documents were translated from GABRIELLA EINAGA off of the official transcription list (Gabriella turned out 20 documents and divorce decrees in a week and was CHEAP!)
- we responded quickly to Ms Stone, her time lines, and requests for further documents, translations, etc...

I know we all paid attention to details of our documents and collection, but I would encourage all who are applying and are disgruntled by dates in 2011 to really take the time and make sure you have everything in order and don't leave anything out and if you are missing documents to take the time to get the official or certified copies of naturalization, vital stats records, translations and certification of "no records" all lined up with your discrepancy list.

HTH,

MC
ntwrkwizard

Postby kittykat » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:00 pm

I submitted by paperwork to Anna Maria the end of February 2008 and just received my recognition letter.
kittykat

Postby nfig1 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:06 pm

[quote="DoreenJoy"]I applied on November 12, 2008 and received my letter on November 18, 2008. The letter was dated November 14, so it took them only two days. I had the passport less than 24 hours after applying for the passport.

When I applied, Mrs. Stone said: "I'm sure you've heard it could take up to two or three years. However, we are experimenting with a new process so you should hear much sooner than that." She didn't give me a time frame, so I was expecting I'd hear in a year or so. I was shocked to get the letter less than a week after my appointment.

Here's hoping that they are caught up on the backlog soon. I know some of you have been waiting for years.

My husband will be applying for citizenship [i]jure matrimonius[/i] next week. I'll let you all know if that process is longer or about the same. He definitely got an appointment much faster than I did (It took me 13 months from phone call to appointment).[/quote]

That sounds like a load of nonsense. What makes you so special?
nfig1

Postby nfig1 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:10 pm

[quote="kittykat"]I submitted by paperwork to Anna Maria the end of February 2008 and just received my recognition letter.[/quote]

Apparently, those who are getting their letters in a timely manner have "complete" files. It is unclear whether the old backlog consists mostly of incomplete applications, etc.
nfig1

Postby CappuccinoBound » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:03 pm

I'm pretty new to this message board, so I'm not sure if this is the best place to pass along this info, or if it is useful info.

I sent an email on Dec. 14 to the SF Consulate requesting an appointment. I got an "auto-response" the same day informing me that there would be an approximate 2 year wait. Today, I got an email confirming that I have an appointment on Jan. 31, 2012, a little over 25 months away. I gather from earlier posts that this is about par for the course right now.

Now I have plenty of time to get my documents in order!
CappuccinoBound

Postby nfig1 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:42 pm

[quote="CappuccinoBound"]I'm pretty new to this message board, so I'm not sure if this is the best place to pass along this info, or if it is useful info.

I sent an email on Dec. 14 to the SF Consulate requesting an appointment. I got an "auto-response" the same day informing me that there would be an approximate 2 year wait. Today, I got an email confirming that I have an appointment on Jan. 31, 2012, a little over 25 months away. I gather from earlier posts that this is about par for the course right now.

Now I have plenty of time to get my documents in order![/quote]

It seems so, and the wait seems to get a month longer every two months. On the bright side, some folks have had their apps processed lickety-split afterward if the file is deemed complete, so use the extra time to make sure you've got all your ducks in a row. Btw, I think I remember reading somewhere that in Italy Italians only drink cappuccino at breakfast. Can anyone confirm?
nfig1

Postby linnde » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:22 pm

I had my appointment in April 2008, and sent everything to the San Francisco consulate minus a few documents. It took me until January 2009 to get the rest to the Consulate, then I waited. My letters are dated 25 November 2009. Considering what I went through to get everything together, I thought this was a short wait and I appreciate that it's done. I expected to wait 2+ years rather than 10 months.

Good luck to you!
linnde

Postby scherzbit » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:40 pm

Turned in my documents on Jan. 21 '10 (made my appt. Sept 20, 2008), and was told the wait would be 7 months, after I turned in an amended translation. They are apparently processing new applications concurrently with older ones.
scherzbit

Postby ivaniannoli » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:05 am

Anybody have any updates or news to report?

I'm trying to get a sense of where they are in the processing. Looks like April '08 applicants were getting word last couple of months.

I applied in July '08, and I'm hoping news will come soon.

Any others apply in summer of '08 in SF? Any word? Where are we at?

Thanks!
ivaniannoli

Postby ivaniannoli » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:50 am

Just got my paperwork recognizing me as a citizen. I applied in July of '08, got recognized in March of '10. Much less than the three years they told us we'd be waiting.

Feels good, this being Italian thing.
ivaniannoli

Postby zagnut » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:49 am

Congratulations! :D
zagnut

Postby crunchy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:37 pm

Just tried e-mailing Anna Maria Stone and in her auto-reply it says:

"WE REGRET TO INFORM YOU THAT AS OF 4/21/2010 DUE TO THE HIGH VOLUME OF APPLICATIONS THAT REQUIRE PROCESSING WE WILL BE ABLE TO ANSWER ONLY THOSE EMAILS WITH REQUESTS FOR AN APPOINTMENT, PLEASE SPECIFY IF YOU ARE REQUESTING BY MARRIAGE OR BY DESCENT."

Does this really mean she won't reply?
crunchy

PreviousNext

Return to Embassies and Consulates