Detroit consulate

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Re: Detroit consulate

Postby Italian Spartan » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:53 pm

When using the birth certificate form from the Embassy website, the form gives the option for a birth certificate and an extract of a birth certificate with parents' names. As it's for my passport application, does it matter which one is selected? I assumed a birth certificate was a pretty standard thing but this confused me. Also, does the birth certificate need to be miltilingual? I'm assuming no, but if anyone can let me know their experience with this I'd appreciate it.
Italian Spartan

Postby MMonico » Fri May 28, 2010 3:22 pm

Italian Spartan, I am getting ready to send in paperwork for my passport and I am sending just the birth certificate from Italy and its multilingual ( cant hurt) and the birth certificate has your parents name on it, when i sent off for it i got back 3 offical copies from my commune in about 2 weeks, very fast.

My question, I called the consulate about passport stuf and the lady said that I would have to fly there and do finger printing in person, does anyone know if we can just send finger print cards with the app instead of going there in person??
MMonico

Postby ameliabelle1 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:41 am

We had one not so successful trip to Detroit, and I think we caught her on a bad day as well ;) We have an official record of "No Record" for great grandfather. The No Record calls him by his given Italian name, but we were told that the no record document must state that there is no record for every type of spelling of his name. Did anyone else run into this? Its impossible to contact the UCSIS and I'm not sure what to do to get the No Record amended. Thanks
ameliabelle1

Postby cmag79 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:56 pm

Hello, not sure if anyone still monitors this thread but I'll post anyway. Have just recently started the process of applying for dual citizenship. Sent requests to get birth certificates for me, dad and GF. GGF was born in Sicily and I already have his birth cert. Anyway, I got the certs in the mail today with the Apostilles. Only problem is on my GF birth cert it says his parents were Sam and Fern. No idea where these names came from since their names were Saverio and Crocifissa. As I understand to be the case, will I have to have an amendment to my GF birth certificate or perhaps have it changed all together. Is this the case?

Thanks to all.
cmag79

Postby Em » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:47 am

Unfortunately, it is likely you will have to amend this document. Your greatgrandparents' Italian names were unusual to Americans, and they apparently decided to change them. Years ago, doing this unofficially was not much of a problem, but in terms of citizenship recognition, the Sam and Fern on his birth certificate does not connect them to the Italians Saverio and Crocifissa. Check with the municipality in which your gf's birth certificate was issued. It may be that his parents' birth certificates and marriage documents may be sufficient evidence to warrant an amendment. Some municipalities are more open to amendments than others, so you'll have to check. Failing this, you may have to obtain a court order.
Em

Previous

Return to Embassies and Consulates