Detroit consulate

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Re: Detroit consulate

Postby lobezno » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:45 pm

I did, it took two years after I submitted my app. But because my mom had two name changes they took a long time to figure out how to handle it. That said, it seems like Detroit usually take six months or so. You can check with your comune in Italy and see if it's been registered yet.
lobezno

Postby jfrancia » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:37 am

Great, luckily many of my cousins live in Sicily and they said they will personally go over to the commune office and make sure we get the paperwork through very quickly. :D
jfrancia

Postby MMonico » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:05 pm

I am still waiting for all the documents to get here, but I know there is one discrepancie with my GGF birhtdate. On his bc from Italy it states his birthdate is June 2 1886 but all the docs i have from the US say his birthdate is sept 16 1886. As I look at my GGF and GGM bc it states thier birht dates are the same day and year, its like they just put a generic date on them becauseb they didnt know. Think this may be a problem?
MMonico

Postby jfrancia » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:18 pm

received today ( 23 Aug 2009) recognition and AIRE forms from detroit. Exactly 4 months after our appointment. All 7 people who applied are now citizens! cant wait for the actual passport to arrive. Hope it works well for everyone here too.
jfrancia

Postby MMonico » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:31 am

That great congrats!!!!!!
MMonico

Postby MMonico » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:02 am

I have my appt. next Tues. at 11am. Im a little nervous as there are a couple of dates that dont match up on my GGF birth certificate.

Also can anyone tell me what the fees might be to apply? And you pay with a CC or does it need to cash???
MMonico

Postby jfrancia » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:19 am

there is no fee to apply.

I mailed a check for my passport a few months after the appointment, but I believe they do take cash. good luck!
jfrancia

Postby Ldinuzzo » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:29 pm

I have a question. I Just went to the Detroit consulate today I only had to give her 3 documents...my birth certificate...it translated, my drivers license a copy of it and the applicaion for registration of citizenship. All the other documents she needed are already registered in italy...anyway..she is very hard to ask questions to because she seems angry...she told me that i would recieve a letter in the mail after she sends it out and it comes back and it would tell me how to go about applying for the passport...First I was just curious if anyone knows how long it takes for the registration...im hoping not 4 months as I've read above! Anyway...after that paperwork comes back..do I have to go back to detroit in order to apply for the passport? or can it be done by mail? I want to go to italy in december so if i could just finish this process from there that would be amazing...Does anyone have any information they can give me?
Ldinuzzo

Postby tonyric » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:45 pm

3-4 months from the time it is sent out in a diplomatic pouch sounds about right... I am at 5/6 weeks and don't expect to hear from the Boston consulate for about another month or so...
tonyric

Postby MMonico » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:17 pm

Ldinuzzo,

I to had the pleasure of edaling with the angry woman in detroit. She did seem angry at times but then not, who knows, lol. But she also didnt take all the documents i had brought but I wasn"t gong to complain. I need my passport by Dec. also. lets hope that we both get them soon.
Good Luck
MMonico

Postby Ldinuzzo » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:33 pm

lol yeah she is aa real charmer that lady! :) Oh well I just try to kill her with Kindness and think maybe she will send my documents out ...now i gotta send her a self addressed and stamped envelope...so she can send me the papers ...i mean really...just ridiculous. Oh well.. Im hoping to finish the rest of the process over in italy...i just need to make sure that I can.
Ldinuzzo

Postby MMonico » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:12 pm

I recieved my paper work today thats states I am a Citizen of Italy, it was only 2 months. Now I have to get my passport, it says I have to get my birth record from Italy. Does one know how to do this since I was born in the US.?
MMonico

Postby leighcowden » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:45 pm

When the Detroit consulate sends your documents (in the diplomatic pouch) to Rome, Rome will then send them to your commune. Once your commune gets them, they input the records into their system and issue you an Italian birth certificate (it will show you were born in the US) and an Italian marriage certificate if you are married. Once they have done that, you can get a copy and submit that copy with your passport application. I have heard that the fastest you could get this birth certificate is a month, but to expect longer. I have paid Nicola to get my documents in Italy. I had to pay to get mine, my husband's and my 3 kids'. He only charged me for 1/2 of them.
leighcowden

Postby RomaBound » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:36 am

[quote="MMonico"]I recieved my paper work today thats states I am a Citizen of Italy, it was only 2 months. Now I have to get my passport, it says I have to get my birth record from Italy. Does one know how to do this since I was born in the US.?[/quote]

As a (free) start, try using one of the forms available at the US Embassy in Rome website, http://italy.usembassy.gov/acs/records.asp

Mail the form to:

Ufficio della Stato Civile
Comune di [comune name]
[cap code (like US ZIP code)] [comune name] [2-letter province code]
Italy
RomaBound

Postby MMonico » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:10 pm

Thank you for your help. This is a great forum to find help in this long process. I am very thankful for ICGS and everyone on here that helps.
MMonico

PreviousNext

Return to Embassies and Consulates