Miami Consulate Update

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Miami Consulate Update

Postby FlaSeeker » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:32 pm

Hi all -- I had my appointment in Miami this morning to apply for citizenship and wanted to let others who are going there know what to expect. (For those keeping track, I made my appointment 14 months ago and was applying through my grandfather-mother.)

Most of the experience was similar to previous posts, but I did notice a couple of changes:
-- The consulate does require the four forms that are listed on their web site. I didn't have them completed so I had to do that once I submitted my documents. In addition to saving time, it would help to do this while you still have your documents to be certain that you have the correct dates and other info.
-- On the documents for your ancestor's naturalization: I used NARA documents (the ones from the FOIA request were the same, but they were poor copies and unreadable). The consulate kept these along with the other documents. That was fine by me, but if anyone wants to keep a copy, be advised to make one before your appointment.

Everyone at the consulat was very gracious and efficient. I was told that I could expect the application to be processed in about 8 weeks, so I'll let you know how that goes.

I also wanted to thank everyone on this board who both shared their experiences and offered advice on what to expect. It was a great help in preparing for my appointment!
FlaSeeker

Re: Miami Consulate Update

Postby Jennifer » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:28 pm

Excellent! Other posters have said that Miami does not require death certificates, and only wants direct line documents (including marriage certs). Can you verify this based on your experiences? I'm gathering documents myself for Miami.
Jennifer

Postby FlaSeeker » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:10 pm

Yes, Jennifer, that's correct -- no death certificates and just documents in the direct line. They also require "proof of Italian citizenship" for your original Italian ancestor, and you can get that from the same commune that issued the birth certificate.
FlaSeeker

Postby vaguido » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:09 pm

Thanks for the feedback FlaSeeker. I applied July 1, and I have not received any feedback through today, September 4. I'll post once I receive a response.
vaguido

Postby Jennifer » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:25 pm

How does the comune provide "proof of Italian citizenship?" Isn't that what the birth certificate is for?
Jennifer

Postby FlaSeeker » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:08 pm

It's actually a separate document -- the birth certificate proves a person was born in Italy, but unlike the US, that doesn't make a person a citizen. Citizenship can only be passed on by blood in Italy, so this document certifies that the child was born of Italian parents and is also Italian.
FlaSeeker

Postby Jennifer » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:39 pm

Ok. What, in Italian, should I ask for when I write my comune for the document?
Jennifer

Postby FlaSeeker » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:06 pm

It's called a Certificate of Italian Citizenship. I used a document service to get it (along with the birth certificate) and it only took a couple of weeks get. If you search this site or the web, you can probably find more info on it.
FlaSeeker

Postby Destin2BeItaliano » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:00 pm

FlaSeeker, are you able to confirm or refute an earlier posting a few months back by another person who applied through Miami that they only require translations of the documents for the person applying (i.e. my birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce certificate)?

Thank you!
Destin2BeItaliano

Postby vaguido » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:40 am

Destin: I have recent feedback for you: I applied in Miami July 2009, and I only supplied a translation of my birth certificate (I am single/non-married).

FlaSeeker: FYI, I am ten weeks out with no response.
vaguido

Postby Destin2BeItaliano » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:34 pm

That's wonderful news! The less I have to pay for the better!
Destin2BeItaliano

Postby terminus » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:36 pm

[quote="FlaSeeker"]Yes, Jennifer, that's correct -- no death certificates and just documents in the direct line. They also require "proof of Italian citizenship" for your original Italian ancestor, and you can get that from the same commune that issued the birth certificate.[/quote]

I got in touch with l'ufficiale di stato civile ed angrafe in my family's city. He had no idea what un certificato di cittadinanza italiana was for the early 20th century. He did, however, write a letter to the consulate for me on official city stationary saying:

"Visti gli atti di nascita dell'anno xxxx e xxxx;
Viste gli atie di matrimonio dell'anno xxxx;
Visti gli archivi anagrafici di questo Commune;

Attesta che...(MY GREAT GRANDPARENTS)..., hanno mantenuto la Cittadinanza Italiana fino alla data del Censimento dell YYYY, data presumibile di emigrazione per l'Estero."

Does anyone think this will be OK? I don't want to have to buy something through some service when I'm on speaking terms with the source.

Thanks.
terminus

Postby zagnut » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:23 am

Sounds perfect to me!
zagnut

Postby zman » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:36 pm

I am applying through Miami. My interview is not for several months, but I believe that I have most of the docs needed.

Can someone please tell me exactly what docs are needed for Miami, and what docs need translations and what docs need an apostille? I have not started translations yet, and have not yet obtained the apostilles.

The consultate's web page is a bit confusing to me,and I see so many different opinions listing various docs that I have never heard of-- such as the "proof of citizenship". I would like to just make sure I have proper understanding before I send (and pay) for translations/apostilles.

Thanks
zman

Postby FlaSeeker » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:26 am

Hi Zman,

As for what's required, all I can tell you is what I gave the consulate. Going through my grandfater-mother:

GF birth certificate
GF proof of citizenship
GF-GM marriage license, with apostille and translation
M birth certificate, with apostille and translation
GF naturalization papers from NARA
M-F marriage license, with apostille and translation
my birth certificate, with apostille and translation

It's difficult to guage what you'll need by the time your appointment rolls around because the appointments are usually scheduled a year or so in advance. When I made my appointment, these are the documents and certifications that I was told were required. (In fact, when I started, I was also told I needed documents for family members not in the "direct line," so I had a few of those with me too.) Plus, I figured it was better to have too much documentation when I got to the consulate rather than not enough.

I hope this helps.
FlaSeeker

Next

Return to Embassies and Consulates