Miami Consulate Update

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Re: Miami Consulate Update

Postby zman » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:11 pm

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. I will probably just get all docs on the italian side translated with apostilees out of an abundance of caution. That will cost me more, but in the end might be worht it.

Did you have any problems with discrepancies? That is another one of my concerns (a bigfer concern as my family docs are generally a mess-- flip flopping names, misspellings, etc.).

Again, thanks.
zman

Postby FlaSeeker » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:03 pm

On discrepancies: I had a few first names that were listed as nicknames in one or two places -- things like Susie instead of Susan -- or Anglicized in others, but the surname on the Italian side was consistent, and that seemed to be what they were most concerned about.
FlaSeeker

Postby terminus » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:18 pm

I had my appointment in Miami yesterday and wanted to let those with upcoming appointments know what was required. I am seeking recognition via great-grandfather > grandmother > father > self.

1. ITALIAN BIRTH and MARRIAGE records for my GGF in formoto plurilingue

2. LETTER FROM THE COMUNE (certificato di cittadinanza) stating that my GGF was an Italian citizen prior to emmigrating

3a. USCIS NATURALIZATION MATERIALS for my GGF, which were fuzzy, but readable

3b. LOCAL COURT NATURALIZATION FILE for my GGF which was certified by the court and apostilled. I brought this because the USCIS record was hard to read. Virginia said it was good that I did. She used it to check the names and birthdate on the "Declaration of Intention" against the Italian forms, ignoring the actual naturalization certificate.

4. CERTIFIED US BIRTH CERTIFICATES/APOSTILLES with TRANSLATIONS clipped to each for GM, F, and self.

5. CERTIFIED US MARRIAGE/APOSTILLES with TRANSLATIONS clipped to each for GM and F (I'm single). My GM was married twice and my dad was from the second marriage, so I included both records.

6. CERTIFIED US DIVORCE ABSTRACT/APOSTILLE with TRANSLATION clipped to it for my GM. I had read that they needed the full court order and a letter from the court saying the divorce had not been contested, so I brought those too (with apostilles and translations, of course), but Virginia said it was not necessary because it was so long ago. She only kept the abstract.

All of these were given to her in chronological order through a small hole at the citizenship window. Thus, I only needed to have my papers in order and not in a binder, as others have suggested.

Virginia did ask for DEATH CERTIFICATES, which caused my heart to skip a beat, but seemed to have no problem when I said I didn't have them.

Interestingly, she did not ask for a LIST OF DISCREPANCIES, although I had. Rather, she checked the names and dates against the previous documents as I gave each to her. Whenever she came to a form with something I had corrected in court, I pointed it out to her and she nodded her head positively. Thanks to my paranoia about discrepancies I had spent two years (and suffered countless sleepless nights) fixing everything I could pertaining to names, dates, etc. The only two documents I could not fix without a very pricey court order from New York were names on my grandmother's two marriage licenses, both of which had the American names of her parents, not the Italian ones. Instead of "Antonio" it had "Anthony" and instead of "Annunziata" it had "Nancy." She said these were common and would not be a problem.

The appointment lasted half and hour and was conducted largely in Italian from the beginning. I think that I don't speak Italian well, but Virginia seemed to appreciate the effort and complemented me, saying it was rare for a fourth-generation Italian to speak so well.

I asked about what my father would need to do to get recognized, indicating that some of the files I had presented from NYS could no longer be obtained due to my grandmother's recent death. She said he would need to take an appointment in Boston to fill out the paperwork, but just needed to give my case number in Miami to the official there.

Thus ended what I hope will be a turning point in my life. Now I'm just waiting for "the letter," hoping that no problems are found with the thorough review of my files. She said it should be a few months, and that once I get it I should log on to the website and fill out the passport application.

I'll be checking the mail with anticipation until that date.
terminus

Postby JMMalley » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:22 am

Terminus,

Bravo! The "heavy lifting" is finally over for you. Isn't Virginia fabulous? I've made two trips to the Consulate in Miami, and Virginia was most helpful and patient both times. I received my letter of citizenship five months after applying. I think it took about two weeks to get my passport. My wife applied for citizenship last month. I know it's going to take several months for her to get her letter, but it will be worth the wait. Same for you!

Regards,

Joe
JMMalley

Postby terminus » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:57 pm

[quote="JMMalley"]Terminus,

Bravo! The "heavy lifting" is finally over for you. Isn't Virginia fabulous? I've made two trips to the Consulate in Miami, and Virginia was most helpful and patient both times. I received my letter of citizenship five months after applying. I think it took about two weeks to get my passport. My wife applied for citizenship last month. I know it's going to take several months for her to get her letter, but it will be worth the wait. Same for you!

Regards,

Joe[/quote]

Thanks. I feel quite relieved. I just hope she doesn't find anything wrong.
terminus

Postby JMMalley » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:31 pm

Don't worry. Someone there will contact you.
JMMalley

Postby LAROCCAML » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:32 pm

Congratulations!!!
I too will go through the Miami consulate in April, but I do have one question for you...how did you get the full court order and a letter from the court saying the divorce had not been contested?

I thank you for your help.
LAROCCAML

Postby terminus » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:55 am

LAROCCAML wrote :
> Congratulations!!!
> I too will go through the Miami consulate in April, but I do have one
> question for you...how did you get the full court order and a letter from
> the court saying the divorce had not been contested?
>
> I thank you for your help.

I knew the city that the court occurred in and first called the court's clerk and gave her the name of the divorcees. The clerk was able to look it up electronically and give me the docket number and date and number of pages (for calculating cost). In my case, the case was 50 years old and subsequently filed in the state archives, so I wrote a letter to the State Archives with the docket number requesting a CERTIFIED copy of the decree, and a second letter to the court requesting a CERTIFIED letter of no appealed.

Once I got both documents, I sent them to the Secretary of State for an apostille.
terminus

Postby Tonio70 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:41 pm

I am thrilled to see some positive results coming out of the Miami Consulate. I can attest to the many positive responses about "Virginia", I have been there 3 times already asking many questions that I needed clariifcation about. She has been extremely helpful and patient with me, I most recently went asking about the Proof of Citizenship requirement and she stated it was not necessary in my case, and I am assuming in most cases. She stated most communes would have no idea what a Proof of Citizenship document would be. She mentioned that if there were any discrespancies with the parents names on the birth certificate from Italy then Proof of Italian citizenship may be required. I still am confused about this matter but I am not letting it disturb me, I am content not having to waste time trying to obtain a document that may not exist in the commune of Varese.

I was also under the impression that all original documents not in Italian had to be translated, that is not the case, only documents pertaining to the individual applying would need to be translated(birth certificate, marriage records, etc). Also she mentioned I would only need to have the original documents relating to my direct italian lineage (GGF, GF, Mother, Me). Of course I obtained all documents, including my fathers (Non Italian) birth and death certificates. I am thankful for Virigina's help, she saved me a ton of money with regard to translations, one less headache.

I have to wait until end of August 2010 but I am thinking positive about the upcoming experience. Awaiting to hear more positive experiences from Miami consulate.

Ciao.
Tonio70

Postby geospain » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:33 pm

Tonio:

Does that mean that you didn't get your parent's birth or marriage certificates translated? You just had them apostillized?
geospain

Previous

Return to Embassies and Consulates