Appointment yesterday in Boston... Success??? I think so...

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Appointment yesterday in Boston... Success??? I think so...

Postby tonyric » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:58 am

Success? Partially....

I got to the Federal Reserve Bank building at 8:45 and was let in at 9. I sat for about 15 minutes before Sig. Corrao was available and was shown to his office. He is really a nice man but VERY meticulous.

We went through my documents:

GGF Italian birth certificate: Check
GGM Italian birth certificate: Check
GGF/GGM MA Marriage certificate: Check
GGF/GGM MA Death certificates: Check

I am feeling good at this point. :)

GF MA MA birth certificate: Check
GM MA MA birth certificate: Check
GF/GM MA Marriage certificate: Check
GF/GM MA Death certificates: Check

I am feeling confident.

F MA birth certificate: Check
F Declaration of Living Ascendant (No Apostille, but requires one, fixed and returned to the consulate)
M VT birth certificate: Check
F/M Marriage certificate: We have a problem, birth location on marriage license for my mother differs from her birth certificate (how did I miss this?) we will come back to it.

My MA birth certificate: We have a problem, mothers birth location matches her marriage certificate but differs from her birth certificate. we will come back to it.

Marriage #1 Japan marriage certificate needs additional certification by the Italian Embassy in Tokyo and will go out in the next diplomatic pouch.
subsequent divorce and marriage certificates, sons birth certificate, letters of no appeals, etc. Require translations (wish I knew this or it would have been done SIGH) and then to be sent to the LA Consulate for certification.

So, he makes a comment that there is so much paperwork. We continue discussing the issues as he is frantically typing with 2 fingers on his computer (he does it VERY fast). Prints out a couple documents and tells me he is not going to worry about my mothers birth location since it is consistent between her marriage certificate and my birth certificate (sure ignore the easy one to fix HAHA).

We chat a little more and he tells me he is going to process this in two packets to speed things up. He says it is not the way it is supposed to be done but it will also keep the confusion down in Sulmona with all of the documents I am registering. :) At this time he places my Italian birth certificate on the top of the pile.... I get excited, my Italian birth certificate is in front of me.

We talk a little more and how this is going to work is this:

Since my package is clean to my birth certificate, he is sending that to Rome and then on to Sulmona (so, I am a citizen just without an official birth certificate) and should be registered in 6-8 weeks and possibly less.

He is also sending my Japanese marriage certificate to Tokyo for the final certification.

I am getting translations for my California docs (anyone know of an inexpensive person that is accepted by the LA Consulate? He made this point very clear about one that is accepted by the LA Consulate.) and will then return them to him in Boston. Once he receives the document back form Tokyo he will send my Cali docs to LA for certification. Once all this is done, they will go to Rome and then on to Sulmona.

I will have my citizenship finalized initially as if I was never married nor have a son. <shrug> I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, I took the offer for the assistance. :D

SO, it appears my long road is almost to a completely successful conclusion.

NOTE for EVERYONE with documents in another consulate jurisdiction: Get them translated so you don't have to do it after your appointment, even if you are going through a consulate like Boston where they typically translate everything for you. This is very important.

Ciao :D
tonyric

Re: Appointment yesterday in Boston... Success??? I think so...

Postby jdcaro55 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:00 pm

Thats great! So I guess they send the documents for certification to the Italian Consulate in Tokyo, in your case, did they tell you how much that ususally takes?, mine will be sent to Peru.
jdcaro55

Postby tonyric » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:24 pm

He wouldn't give specific timelines, but mine should be in 6-8 weeks possibly less, the rest, probably a month to 6 weeks for Tokyo, then around the end of the year for the rest. Nothing like getting too specific. :D
tonyric

Postby jdcaro55 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:50 pm

Awesome! I'm hoping I get mine the first couple of months 2010, So we'll see!. I'm glad your appt went fine!
jdcaro55

Postby Edward » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:24 pm

I am wondering when this form comes into play "Declaration of Living Ascendant (No Apostille, but requires one, fixed and returned to the consulate)" which I noticed on your post. I am going to NY for my second meeting in a week.
Edward

Postby tonyric » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:03 am

This form is filled out by people in your bloodline that are still living but not getting their citizenship like, in my case, my father.
tonyric

Postby Edward » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:44 pm

I down loaded the forms off the web site today, I had thought these were filled out at the consulate. Do they all need appostiles?
Edward

Postby tonyric » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:25 am

[quote="Edward"]I down loaded the forms off the web site today, I had thought these were filled out at the consulate. Do they all need appostiles?[/quote]

The only one of those I filled out beforehand for Boston was the Declaration of Living Ascendant because my father was not going with me to the consulate (he isn't getting his citizenship). Mr. Corrao required me to get an apostille on it, whihc I took care of in an hour, but from what I understand, that typically doesn't need it. I cannot speak to the rest of the documents.
tonyric

Postby linser73 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:18 am

I am just beginning this process in Boston. I have searched the website for the Boston consulate but didn't find any instructions or forms to use for the application. Is there anything on that website related to this? I am also wondering about where to obtain the transalations. Is it a good idea to use the ICGS service for that? Any advice will be most appreciated! Thank you!
linser73

Postby tonyric » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:30 am

There are no forms you need to fill out beforehand.

The only documents that will require translations are the ones covered by a different consulate. Boston will translate all documents themselves. Don't waste your time and money on documents that originate in New England. One thing I do want to note is that you should, in addition to taking along your drivers license and passport, is to take a copy of them with you.
tonyric

Return to Embassies and Consulates