Italy citizenship

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Re: Italy citizenship

Postby Bonita » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:18 am

thank you em i posted an answer on the other thread.
Bonita

Postby Bonita » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:26 am

Em, i want to be clear with my question.

MY QUESTION IS THE FOLLOWING:

I NEED THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE IN ITALY WHERE I CAN FIND ALL THE ""OFFICIAL"" REQUIREMENTS TO ESTABLISH RESIDENCY.

Not third parties, but the OFFICIAL WEBSITE where i can see the list of requirements. There have to be a list somewhere i don't think the employees go by their feelings or see your utility bill and automatically give you residency. There are laws for that and the list is made or based on such laws. This is why it is important to me to have the official website listing the requisites for residency.

Thank you
Bonita

Postby Bonita » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:28 am

Em, i want to be clear with my question.

MY QUESTION IS THE FOLLOWING:

I NEED THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE IN ITALY WHERE I CAN FIND ALL THE ""OFFICIAL"" REQUIREMENTS TO ESTABLISH RESIDENCY.

Not third parties, but the OFFICIAL WEBSITE where i can see the list of requirements. There have to be a list somewhere i don't think the employees go by their feelings or see your utility bill and automatically give you residency. There are laws for that and the list is made or based on such laws. This is why it is important to me to have the official website listing the requisites for residency.

Thank you
Bonita

Postby jdcaro55 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:42 am

Bonita, start from here ...

http://www.interno.it/mininterno/export/sites/default/it/temi/immigrazione/

as official as you can get, and in Italy.
jdcaro55

Postby Em » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:31 pm

And Bonita, if you don't find what you're looking for at that site, go back and check with the consulates. Remember that when you walk into a consulate, you are officially in Italy. The information you get there should not be any different from the information you get in Italy (except you can get it in English). Best of luck.
Em

Postby lisotta » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:07 pm

Bonita, you may apply in Italy without having obtained a visa. Unless the laws have changed, I believe that you would need to have your passport stamped upon entry into the country, or must obtain a declaration of presence from the local Questura. Please check out the thread about applying in Italy on expats. (Sorry for referring the poster elsewhere, but the thread is very informative.)

As for residency, if you arrive in Italy with all of your citizenship documentation, have your stamped passport or obtain a declaration of presence, you would also need to find legal accomodations. Then you submit a request for residency at the comune. Residency isn't granted immediately, but only after the police check that you are living at the address that you list in your request for residency. Again, these are not step-by-step instructions, but if you research that thread on expats, many of your questions will be answered.

As for accomplishing this in a window of 3 months - I wouldn't bank on it.
lisotta

Postby lisotta » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:15 pm

Sorry, I just now read the very same content in another thread. Guess her questions have been answered. Good luck, Bonita.
lisotta

Postby zagnut » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:26 pm

"Do understand, though, that you cannot apply in Italy on a tourist visa."
This is incorrect.

As Lisotta stated: "Bonita, you may apply in Italy without having obtained a visa."

With the 90 day tourist "visa" (from visa waiver countries like the US, no actual visa is required), and a passport entry stamp, you can apply for residency at the comune for jure sanguinis citizenship recognition. Not even a permesso di soggiorno is required (per circolare 32 / 2007) to request residency in this instance.

Once residency is granted, the citizenship documents can be submitted to the comune. They will issue a letter of receipt which allows one to apply for a one year pds for awaiting citizenship.
zagnut

Postby Bonita » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:13 am

zagnut, thank you very much, may i ask you one more question?

I was reading this with my employer as he is also very interested, my employer happen to be my husband's friend so we are planning to go to italy but we have a question.

talking to my employer, he can give me 3-4 months off, do you think i can go and apply and come back? (assuming i do have all paperwork already)

I also have cousins in there that i can stay with, my issue is the fact that i need to come back to the states. I can stretch it to up to 5 months but would that be sufficient?

what about if i go and then come back? (in example: going for 3 months and then come back to the States, stay in the states for 6 months and then come back to Italy?)
Bonita

Postby Bonita » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:20 am

i will give info about me.

1. Applying through "juris sanguinis"
2. I have all the documents already, translated and stamped.
3. Called SF office and they will take years
4. I happen to have cousins who have already done this very quickly and in Italy. (wonder why i don't ask them? i did but i get different info from each of them so that is why i am verifying here)
5. I am a nationalized US American and a Peruvian citizen by birth.(I hold both Peruvian and USA citizenship)
6. I need to expedite the process, i happen to have tickets to italy already so i want to take advantage of that and if i need to stay then i need to plan ahead but i have no clue how long i have to stay.
7. I would like to go, apply, stay in Italy maybe 3 months in my cousins house and come back to the states and maybe go back to Italy for couple of weeks if needed (is that possible?)
Bonita

Postby zagnut » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:44 am

It's possible. There are no guarantees, however.

I'd see www.expattalk.com - much more info on the topic there.
zagnut

Previous

Return to Embassies and Consulates