How Long Does it Take?

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

How Long Does it Take?

Postby am87 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:44 pm

I will have all my my documents by the end of November. I will then take them to the Detroit consulate. How soon before I can get my Italian Passport? Importantly, is there time between citizenship application and passport application? Thanks for any info. I wanna get out ASAP.
am87

Re: How Long Does it Take?

Postby Ldinuzzo » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:00 pm

I am in the same boat. Infact I just went to the italian embassy today in Detroit and filled out my Italian citizenship registration...I asked her how long it would take and she basically told me that she couldnt tell me it could take up to 3 months. Then I could come back and apply for the passport...I want to be outta here by the first week in Dec. but the lady there is so unpleasant its really impossible to get any answers from her without aggrevating her...I didnt want her to not send it out or take her time on it so I just avoided asking her any more questions...I will post again when I get the registration back...for now Im going to try to find a way around it so I cant maybe just have my dad send me whatever she sends to me while I am in italy...and hopefully I can just apply for the passport there...The lady in Detroit is impossible to talk to. Hopefully she will give you some more answers than she did me! Let me know if you find out anything else from her!
Ldinuzzo

Postby azsumrg1rl » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:22 pm

Generally, you cannot apply for your passport until your consulate has sent your papers to the comune for filing. Most consulates will send you a letter stating that you are now an Italian citizen, although I've read a few reports of the letter getting lost in the mail.
azsumrg1rl

Postby am87 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:11 am

Thanks for the reply. So technically we could apply for passports before the letter comes stating that we got the citizenship?..waiting only for the detroit consulate to verify everything we have?
am87

Postby Ldinuzzo » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:28 pm

Well I am going to call another embassy with helpful people to verify this but...I think that you can fly into italy with your us passport...stay on your vacation 90 days...wait for the documents to be sent stating that your a citizen...once you get them you can have them mailed to you in italy...and then go to the Commune there where you want to live and just apply for the passport in italy...and fill out all the documents there...I mean seriously...I do not see why not...once your a citizen...what does it really matter where you apply for the passport?
Ldinuzzo

Postby azsumrg1rl » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:49 pm

am87: Generally, applicants are asked to wait until they receive confirmation from the consulate. LA, for example, tells applicants to apply for passports two months after receiving their letter from the consulate to ensure the proper documents have been processed and are on file at the comune. Check the Detroit Consulate website to see if they have any information like this. Otherwise, I'd say your likely safe to apply once you receive your letter from them.

Ldinuzzo: I do not know if this is possible. If it is, I would imagine you would have to go to the comune in which your documents are filed, not the comune for the area in which you want to live. As you said, best to check with the consulate/embassy.
azsumrg1rl

Postby am87 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:51 pm

Splendid. Another winter here. More time to save up US pokerchip dollars.
am87

Postby nfig1 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:01 pm

That's probably not too bad considering the USPS's track record.
nfig1

Return to Embassies and Consulates