name discrepancy

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

name discrepancy

Postby celtic » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:26 am

My grandmother went by an anglicised name when she came to the US. Margaret vs. Margherita. I read somewhere that I need to write down a list of such differences form my application. Is there any particular way this should be done? Or can I simply type on a piece of paper that Margherita is Margaret? Thanks.
celtic

Re: name discrepancy

Postby JM » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:31 pm

I applied thru the Miami consulate in July 2008. They didn't require any discrepancy list. Miami was ok with first names being close to the Italian name and Margaret vs Margherita should be ok. Miami won't accept any discrepancies in Last Names, so I guess that is why they don't need any discrepancy list. Good luck with your appointment.
JM

Postby celtic » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:20 pm

Thanks. I'm just trying to get all the loose ends tied up before I apply.
celtic

Postby JM » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:53 pm

I should have added though that there are some consulates that used to request the list and if you are applying thru one of those than go ahead and do it. The reason Miami doesn't want a list is because they will not accept any last name discrepancies and therefore have no need for a list. Americanized first names were fine when I had my appointment.
JM

Postby jeniacono » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:04 pm

What consulate are you applying? I had to change an anglicize first name to match my father's Italian name on his b/c, his marriage certificate and my birth certificate. NYC won't accept any discrepancy.
jeniacono

Postby cjcaminiti » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:24 am

I am applying through New York through my paternal grandfather. He went from Antonino (birth in Italy) to Antonio (marriage in NY) to Anthony (death). My father's birth certificate had Michaelangelo, but his whole life he was only Michael. Does this mean I have to legally change every single certificate? Is there a way to simply get a statement saying that it's the same person?
cjcaminiti

Postby jeniacono » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:12 pm

We applied in NYC in March, and yes - we had to change a lot of documents. My father was an applicant - he is Ignazio on his NYC birth certificate, but his marriage and my birth and my marriage use his anglicized name - Ignatius. The consulate required that we had to change most docs to match (we did not have to change his name on my marriage certificate). I also had to add a middle name to my birth certificate, as I'd been using my confirmation name as a middle name (on my marriage certificate and my children's birth certificates). My mother (non direct line) had to change a spelling error on her birth certificate (she qualified for citizenship through the pre 1983 law.

I know some consulates don't require this, and NYC used to be more flexible too. We didn't know this would happen, and went to the appointment without the amendments. We were told everything was OK at the appointment, but when we received my father's approval letter, they sent a second letter requesting the discrepancies be corrected before my application would be approved.
jeniacono

Postby DelleFave » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:37 pm

Does anyone know how picky the San Francisco consulate is regarding variances in name spelling? both of my Italian grandparents' names are misspelled on my mother's birth certifcate.
DelleFave

Postby nmecion » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:22 pm

so if my GGFs birth certificate says Francesco but his death and my GM birth says Frank. Is this going to be a problem. I am applying through him and I will be using NYC consulate.
nmecion

Postby ciao*signorina » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:39 pm

DelleFave wrote :
> Does anyone know how picky the San Francisco consulate is regarding
> variances in name spelling? both of my Italian grandparents' names are
> misspelled on my mother's birth certifcate.

I had my appointment in Jan 2010 with Ms. Anna Maria Stone. She retired last month and was very thorough, very, very thorough.

I had several variations: My father's last name was spelled with an e instead of an a on his birth certificate. Ms. Stone pointed it out and I thought it would spoil the whole application. His certificate also mispelled my grandmother's first name by 1 letter. My grandfather's marriage certificate had multiple americanized names like: Renzo instead of Lorenzo, Pete instead of Pietro, Justina instead of Guistina. My birth certificate mispelled my father's middle name by one letter.

Despite all of these, I just received an email from SF that my application was approved:

Our database indicates that you are a citizen, so the application appears to have been successful. After we receive an application we send it by certified email to the Comune from which your antecedents emigrated; therefore, you should receive a letter from the Comune regarding your citizenship, not from us, as you effectively count as a resident of that town living abroad. Because the citizenship office is in arrears, and significantly so, it appears that your application was processed only a short while ago. I can't give a precise estimate of the remaining delay, because the office is in flux, but rest assured that we are working on it.

Ciao and good luck to you!
ciao*signorina

Return to Embassies and Consulates