Is this true?

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Is this true?

Postby JM » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:14 pm

LAROCCAML posted to the Embassies and Consulates Forum on Nov 11th Heading WHich COnsulate??

One of the replies was from RomaBound and read as follows:

[quote] "Laroccaml's mother can apply at her home consulate. Once she has been granted citizenship, she can belatedly register the birth of her child/children simply by mailing copies of apostilled & translated birth certificates to the AIRE office at her consulate. A week or two later, the children should receive notification of their citizenship along with details on how to apply for their own passports.

Her children, no matter what age, do not need to go through the application process at all." [/quote].

When my mom and I applied at the Miami Consulate in 2008 we both went together and we both had to fill out all the paperwork, (ie application, AIRE, etc).

Has anyone tried to apply the way RomaBound says is possible? I have siblings in other parts of the US and it would be much easier for them to just have my mom send their birth certificates to the Miami consulate as opposed to each of them applying at their own consulates.

Thanks,
JM
JM

Re: Is this true?

Postby RomaBound » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:38 pm

I actually did exactly as described in regards to my 23 year-old son. So, yes, it definitely does work.

Mine was with the New York City consulate. I understand someone else posted a note on another board saying the Los Angeles consulate advised them to do the same thing.
RomaBound

Postby JM » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:53 pm

Interesting RomaBound. I wonder though if all the consulates and the embassy acknowledge that process.

My mom and I both had our Itaian citizenship recognized last year in Miami. Two of my neices live in the jurisdiction of the Embassy in DC. They are both in their 20's. I called the Embassy to see what they needed to have their citizenship recognized and the woman told me they had to have appointments, and their birth certificates, their parents birth and marriage certificates and my moms passport.

I am curious as to why the embassy did not suggest that I have my mom do as you have done. It would make the embassy's work much easier. I wonder if the embassy is unaware of it or it they choose to do things the "traditional" way.

In addition, the woman at the embassy specifically said that my neices could not apply for their Italian citizenship until their mother applied. I asked her this same question twice because I wanted to be sure to understand and she was absolute that my sister had to apply first and then my two neices could apply. (I know that others on this list applied without having to have their parent apply first).

I was concerned about this because my sister has a high level of security clearance and can not apply for italian citizenship until she retires, which won't be for a few more years. Her two daughters, my neices, would like to have their citizenship now.

The woman at the embassy said there is no way my neices can get their citizenship ahead of their mother. She insisted that there is no way to skip a generation.
JM

Postby RomaBound » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:21 pm

It would be simple to test and only take 1 - 2 weeks most likely. Just have your mother submit your sister's (?) birth certificate to the AIRE registry. Within a short time either your sister will receive notice of her citizenship registration and invitation to apply for her passport, or your mother will receive a "Who do you think you're kidding??" letter.

If your sister is approved, once she obtains her passport, she can repeat the process for her children.

On the DC embassy's site:

"Registration of the birth of the child of an Italian citizen abroad: children of parents of whom at least one is an Italian citizen, even if they are born abroad and have citizenship in another country, are Italian citizens and, consequently, their births must be registered in Italy. In order to register a birth it is necessary to bring the following documents to the Consulate: Birth certificate issued by the Civil Registry of the country of residence, translated into Italian by an official translator and authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country of residence (for all signatories of the Hague Convention of 1961); Documentation proving the Italian citizenship of at least one of the parents (identity card, Italian passport, certificate of Italian citizenship). " (http://www.ambwashingtondc.esteri.it/Ambasciata_Washington/Menu/Informazioni_e_servizi/Servizi_consolari/Stato_civile/)

I reported my own experience in this thread: http://www.italylink.com/modules/smf/index.php/topic,3405.0.html
RomaBound

Postby JM » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:30 pm

I am unable to get the link to your previouos post to work, I was interested in your experience but I can see from this current post that it worked well for you and I am glad to hear it. It will be so much easier for others who have siblings and are applyhing for citizenship. I will keep it in mind for the time when my sister can apply for citizenship. It is unfortunate that the embassy will not let my neices apply without having their mother have her citizenship recognized first. I know I have read posts in the past where others skipped the generation and applied without their parent having to apply first.

Thanks for posting your experience though. It will be helpful for my other siblings and their children.
JM
JM

Postby azsumrg1rl » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:49 am

I have heard several reports similar to RomaBound's. Based on what I've read online, it is likely that only certain consulates allow the parent to register the birth of the adult child. The consulates that don't allow this shortcut will require the adult child to submit their own application and vital records. On the plus side, they typically don't require all of the ascendant documentation when the parent is a recognized citizen, as you only need to prove your relationship to the parent.
azsumrg1rl

Return to Embassies and Consulates