NY Consulate v. NYS Health Dept - name amendment issue

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

NY Consulate v. NYS Health Dept - name amendment issue

Postby ElMatador0722 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:50 pm

Has anyone ever succeeded in getting the NY consulate to sign/stamp a document for the New York State Health Department (in Menands, NY) which explains that name amendments are necessary to approve dual citizenship? I had my appt at the end of October and I was told if I can correct the names on my great grandfather/grandfather's death certificates, I can come back within 3 months. However, as you all may know, Menands will NOT allow any name changes, even though I have all required documentation. Instead of getting a court order and taking lots of time and money, I'm trying to plead my case to the gentlemen at the Italian Consulate in hopes that they will eventually just sign/stamp the letter I created for them. The hypocrisy is incredible; Menands says that they have a ton of letters signed from the NY Consulate, but the Consulate insists in person/over email/on their website that they NEVER endorse/sign documents explaining the process. Has anyone ever succeeded with this? Do people just forge them? I'm sure there's already a ton of conversation about this...
ElMatador0722

Re: NY Consulate v. NYS Health Dept - name amendment issue

Postby lucca » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:21 pm

We recently had an appointment with the NY Consulate with a similar issue. The name is spelled differently on the birth certificate than the marriage and death certificates of my ancestor. There was a form they told us we could use to request that they register us under our present names, but he said there is no guarantee. I would never attempt to change my ancestors name or mine for that matter. If that doesn't work, I'm just going to drop it.
lucca

Return to Embassies and Consulates