Acceptance, AIRE question.

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Acceptance, AIRE question.

Postby am87 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:01 pm

I applied and was told it will take 8 weeks for the letter to arrive. When this letter arrives, do I need to get a birth certificate from Terrasini even though I was born in Detroit?

I'm trying to get the passport as soon as possible. Can it be applied for at the same time as AIRE registration at the consulate?..like could I walk in and take care of both? Thanks anyone for any information you may have.
am87

Re: Acceptance, AIRE question.

Postby leighcowden » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:07 pm

Here is my understanding of how it works. I received my letter from Detroit Dec 8th.

1. First you will get the letter from Detroit saying you have your citizenship. With that letter will be the AIRE form which you should fill out and return to the consulate.
2. Around the same time your letter goes out, Detroit sends your documents via consular post (in a mail bag on a ship) to Rome, and then Rome sends the documents out to your commune.
3. Once at your commune, your documents are entered into their database. (this whole trip takes about a month, and how long it takes at your commune depends...could be days, could be weeks, could be worse!)
4. Once that is complete, your commune can (and will when requested) issue you an Italian birth certificate (and marriage if you are married). The birth certificate will show your US birthplace. You need to have that Italian birth certificate to apply for a passport.
5. Once you have the Italian birth certificate from your commune, fill out the passport application (on the Detroit consulate's web site under "forms"), attach the copy of the birth certificate and the photos and anything else they require, and send to the Detroit consulate to get your passport.
6. If you have kids you need to include passport applications for them too and birth certificates, etc.
7. Same for spouses, although spouse passports take about 2 years from submission to get, and come out of Rome, whereas yours and kids will only take a few weeks and come out of the consulate.

Some consulates do not require you have the Italian birth certificate first and will issue you the passport as soon as they recognize your citizenship. But Detroit makes you wait.

Hope this helps!
leighcowden

Postby am87 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:32 pm

Wow thanks for the post. This cleared up everything. Now I am emailing a consulate to see if the birth certificate could be avoided by applying for the passport at an embassy abroad after my AIRE registration in Detroit. It looks like on here, someone said they contact the consulate to confirm and then allow a passport.
am87

Postby lobezno » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:36 pm

Ms. Cervone seems to be a little sticky about this issue, and while I haven't heard of your request w/ regard to Detroit before, I doubt she would confirm finalization of your citizenship for another consulate to receive a passport when she won't do it at her own consulate in Detroit.

She made each of my family members wait until we each had paper in hand from the comune before allowing passport issuance.

Also be aware that the comune may have registered it and she won't necessarily know or inform you. So be proactive in contacting the Stato Civile in the comune to find out when you are actually registered.
lobezno

Return to Embassies and Consulates