Proof of Citizenship for Miami Consulate?

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Proof of Citizenship for Miami Consulate?

Postby kstamper73 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:32 am

Hi all,

I have an appointment scheduled with the Miami consulate for March 4th, 2010. My line is GGF-GF-Mother. I have almost all of my documents together, except that I have heard from other posters on this site that Miami requires a "proof of citizenship" for relatives born in Italy in addition to the Italian Birth Certificates for my GGM and GGF. Not only have I not heard of such a document until now, but this is NOT listed as a requirement on the MIami consulate's website. I am in a panic- I presume there is no way I would be able to obtain such a document in the next three weeks. Is this true? If so, is there anything I can do to obtain this document VERY quickly short of a last-second trip to Italy? Thanks!
kstamper73

Re: Proof of Citizenship for Miami Consulate?

Postby terminus » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:28 am

Don't get too worried - some comunes are pretty quick responding. I suggest you write or e-mail them with the request. I e-mailed by ancestor's comune and had the letter in 8 days from the date of e-mail. I didn't think the postal system could even work that fast.

Worst case scenario, you won't have it by your appointment and they will ask you to simply send it when it arrives.

Buona fortuna.
terminus

Postby Tonio70 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:17 pm

I personally went to the Miami consulate a few month ago concerning this such matter and I was told that Proof of Citizenship was not required. The lady at the window mentioned to me that most communes have no idea what the proof of citizenship document would be. She mentioned that on rare occasions this may be requested if there is a problem with the birth certificate of the relative who was born in Italy. Hope this helps. Please let us know of your experience at the consulate, my appointment is scheduled for August 27, 2010. I would like to know if there are any addiitional requirements, I am hoping that there would not be. Wishing you the best.

Ciao
Tonio70

Postby kstamper73 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:04 am

Thanks for the replies. I'm calling the consulate tomorrow to confirm what the story is. I'll let everyone know how it goes- Getting everything together has been a six year project in the making. I would hate to be surprised on the day of my appointment!
kstamper73

Postby terminus » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:33 am

Tonio70 wrote :
> I personally went to the Miami consulate a few month ago concerning this
> such matter and I was told that Proof of Citizenship was not required. The
> lady at the window mentioned to me that most communes have no idea what the
> proof of citizenship document would be. She mentioned that on rare
> occasions this may be requested if there is a problem with the birth
> certificate of the relative who was born in Italy. Hope this helps. Please
> let us know of your experience at the consulate, my appointment is
> scheduled for August 27, 2010. I would like to know if there are any
> addiitional requirements, I am hoping that there would not be. Wishing you
> the best.
>
> Ciao

This makes a lot of sense and explains why I had to mention it to her at the end of my appointment last month. I had absolutely no discrepancies in names,place or birth, etc. If it had been necessary, she would have asked me, I assume.
terminus

Postby JMMalley » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:18 pm

When I applied in December 2008, I was required to furnish my grandfather's proof of Italian citizenship. Fortunately, my grandfather's commune was on top of it. I received the form from the commune within a week. It appears the consulates are changing rules along the way. Slip a fiver in the envelope to the commune!

Ciao!

Joe
JMMalley

Postby Tonio70 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:33 pm

terminus wrote :
> Tonio70 wrote :
> > I personally went to the Miami consulate a few month ago concerning this
> > such matter and I was told that Proof of Citizenship was not required. The
> > lady at the window mentioned to me that most communes have no idea what the
> > proof of citizenship document would be. She mentioned that on rare
> > occasions this may be requested if there is a problem with the birth
> > certificate of the relative who was born in Italy. Hope this helps. Please
> > let us know of your experience at the consulate, my appointment is
> > scheduled for August 27, 2010. I would like to know if there are any
> > addiitional requirements, I am hoping that there would not be. Wishing you
> > the best.
> >
> > Ciao
>

terminus wrote :
> This makes a lot of sense and explains why I had to mention it to her at the end of
> my appointment last month. I had absolutely no discrepancies in names,place or birth,
> etc. If it had been necessary, she would have asked me, I assume.

I need some assistance since you have already been through the process in Miami, what documents did you have translated? I am asking because I went to the consulate in Miami a few months ago and wa asking various questions that I was unsure about and at the end of the conversation with Virginia she said "only have my documents translated." She said I would only need the originals of my italian descendants with apostilles attached etc.. I am confused since I have read elsewhere that all documents need translation but I have read the Miami consulate website over and over and I swear it also says the only documents I would need translated into Italian are my own personal documents (birth, marriage etc.). Your insight into this matter is most appreicated. Thanks.

Ciao, Antonio
Tonio70

Postby terminus » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:20 am

As my above detailed description of my experience on Jan 13, 2010, notes, I provided translations for all US Documents, except the naturalization materials and the apostilles.

Good luck.
Last edited by terminus on Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
terminus

Postby vaguido » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:29 pm

Virginia only required a translation of my birth certificate (appt July 2009). She was not interested in the translations of anybody in the blood line.
vaguido

Postby Tonio70 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:49 pm

Thanks for the responses. I feel more at ease at the monent.
Tonio70

Postby softouch115 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:58 am

The fact that Virginia is only wanting translations for first person documents confuses me. I was told when I called last summer that the following needed to be translated:
GGF-birth, death, marriage
GF- birth, death, marriage
Mom-birth, marriage
ME-birth, marriage, divorce, certificate of no appeal, and kids' birth certificates

It is my understanding that all of these get filed with the commune, thereby creating an "italian paper trail" for the commune. I was told that the translations are so that the american documents can be used to create italian documents.

If its true..I wish I had known earlier...I've translated tons of documents and spent a lot of money. At this point, though, I've invested so much that I'd prefer to spend a little more and be thoroughly prepared.
????>>>>>Tracy<<<<<confused :?:
softouch115

Postby BiancaMarie » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:11 pm

Would you happen to remember if Virginia's last name is Valore? Also, I don't speak fluent Italian- do you think that will be a problem? How long did it take you to obtain your recognition of citizenship certificate?

Thanks!!
BiancaMarie

Postby softouch115 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:40 am

Yes, Virginia's last name is Valore.
I had my appointment and she was really nice and helpful. I should add that her follow-through is great. She is really prompt in answering emails. I did a write-up on the appointment, here:
http://expatsinitaly.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12029
If anyone would be interested in knowing EXACTLY what happened to me.
softouch115

Return to Embassies and Consulates