Los Angeles - no hyphenated/maiden last names for males?

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Los Angeles - no hyphenated/maiden last names for males?

Postby mdonley » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:40 pm

My brother and I are applying through our paternal great-grandfather.

We met with an extremely gracious, witty older woman in an elegant scarf (not sure of her name!) whose office was second or third on the left after going back. She welcomed us and was only interested in the male line of descent, and the small last-name change which seems to have happened (Proietto on the estratto from the commune, Proetto on everything else after that) was a non-issue. Our father's birth certificate lacks an apostille from New York, but this is resolvable.

HOWEVER - I have my mother's maiden name (Momsname), and my brother has our parents' last names hyphenated (Momsname-Dadsname). This makes everything much more difficult.

The woman we spoke to said that essentially, we could go *no further* until *all* of our American vital documents were amended or changed - beginning with birth certificates, then new driver's licenses and passports - to give us only our father's last name. Nothing about this was on the website, and while it may have been mentioned here before, I didn't register that this would have to happen for us. The way she said it made this absolutely non-negotiable.

On the upside, she initialed the things she'd already examined and said that not all of us needed to make another appointment (useful as I'm often off on long work trips).

Best of luck to everyone else! Finally - we could have had an appointment in the first month after we called (November?) but our schedules lined up better around now. We had a big choice of times.

Matt
mdonley

Re: Los Angeles - no hyphenated/maiden last names for males?

Postby azsumrg1rl » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:42 pm

It's actually Italian law that the child has to have the last name of the father--it doesn't matter whether the child is male or female. Of course, I didn't find this out until my appointment in November 2009 and was absolutely devastated. Like you, I have my mother's maiden name. My younger brothers have a hyphenated last name. My mother kept her maiden name (no issue since women in Italy retain their names).

We were told that:
1. I would have to legally change my last name to the last name of the father listed on my birth certificate and have all my documents reissued. (Not. Gonna. Happen.)
2. The boys *might* be able to get away with a hyphenated name IF the father's last name was listed first. (It isn't, so that's another legal name change).
3. Since we all legally have the same father, we'd have to have the same last name.

Long story short, we decided the boys could do the work to get their own citizenship if/when they wanted it. So then that just left issue #1 (my last name). Because my situation is a bit more unique, another consular official thought she could get me through on a technicality. I'm still waiting to see if she is successful (but she said no news is good news, so *crosses fingers*. So far, so good.)

Unfortunately, you don't have any option here. You must legally change your name or forgo citizenship. (And if I am declined, that's my only option too. Even though my mother is guaranteed to have her citizenship recognized.) You're also correct that there was no way to prepare for this wrinkle in the process. It isn't talked about on any websites, nor did anyone think it might be an issue.

If you're curious about my full story (and why it's unique/complicated), you can read about it at http://italiancitizenship.freeforums.org/disappointment-in-la-t506.html. You might even want to join the community there too and post about your own experience(s).
azsumrg1rl

Re: Los Angeles - no hyphenated/maiden last names for males?

Postby ivaniannoli » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:58 pm

I just posted a similar question/issue earlier today (link here: http://www.icgsmb.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5704). I also have a hyphenated last name, but practically speaking, I only use my mother's surname. I'm concerned about the potential discrepancy between my US and Italian documents. I may have since found something like an answer or solution. It appears the laws have been changed, possibly to alleviate this very problem (specific to dual citizenship).

I'm referring to this link:

Here is the translated version (translations by Google): http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.cognomematerno.it/&ei=O8qfS9_1CYeoswO2mNmGCw&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBcQ7gEwAg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dcambi%2Bil%2Bcognome%2Bin%2BItalia%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den

Here is the original (in Italian): www.cognomematerno.it

In both cases, look on the right column, under the green heading that says 'News.' It appears that they just last month made the change...though I can't confirm, and can't quite understand the specifics. I'm hoping somebody can help clarify.

I applied in SF in '08 (still awaiting word), and they said that the name issue would be a problem potentially, but they didn't halt our application process because of it (as they did in LA), they just suggested we take it up with the authorities in Italy and/or during Passport applications.

Any other info, pass it on.

Best of luck.
ivaniannoli

Return to Embassies and Consulates