MELBOURE- Australia COnsulate

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

MELBOURE- Australia COnsulate

Postby leasham85 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:04 pm

I am off to the Italian COnsulate today =D to find out whether I officially qualify or NOT, I am more then 99% sure that I do but i have waited 8 months 4 this appt, so Ill b more than a LITTLE shattered if i dont, IF i do QUALIFY i then get another appt where I have to take back all my translated & appostlied documents, ah just a bit nervous. Ill let you all know how i go =D
Alicia
leasham85

Re: MELBOURE- Australia COnsulate

Postby azsumrg1rl » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:13 pm

Good luck!
azsumrg1rl

Postby leasham85 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:55 pm

THANK YOU- so this is how it went =(
ok so i have many problems, i didnt think it would be such an enrmous or difficult task =(
1st- the man wasnt very happy i didnt speak italian or have someone there to translate... i was like i cant understand you.
2- here are all my problems
apparently mum must apply 1st, but the BIGGEST problem is her b/c has her surname before the family changed it legally, apparently italy may not recognise this which means they wont recognise me as i have the surname that it was when legally changed, he said they can try send mum b/c and change of name with translation & appostile then wait and see...
also a few other things which i must do...
i really want this but why is it the govt must b real picky, i mean i have to get something on my mums b/c changed bcoz it says they her parents were married in east brighton and not brighton as per marriage cert....
so all in all im a very shattered =(
leasham85

Postby Em » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:17 pm

There are very few applications that are accepted without amendments, and yours seem minor. If your mother legally changed her name, her birth certificate can be amended to reflect her legal name change. That is acceptable to all consulates. There is no requirement that your mother apply first. You can submit with your application a Declaration of Living Ascendent, in which she specifies that she never renounced Italian citizenship and understands that her citizenship will not be recognized with yours. (She will be recognized only is she specifically applies.) My living father completed such a declaration, and there was no issue with this.
Em

Postby leasham85 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:46 pm

Hi Em
[quote="Em"]There are very few applications that are accepted without amendments, and yours seem minor. If your mother legally changed her name, her birth certificate can be amended to reflect her legal name change. That is acceptable to all consulates. There is no requirement that your mother apply first. You can submit with your application a Declaration of Living Ascendent, in which she specifies that she never renounced Italian citizenship and understands that her citizenship will not be recognized with yours. (She will be recognized only is she specifically applies.) My living father completed such a declaration, and there was no issue with this.[/quote]
I new about my nan's death certificate I didn't know tabout the others I dont mind getting them ammended...
Does Australia have the living of desendants form, I will email and ask. And ill speak to mum about her birth certificate, although I don't know if that will work as her parents on her b/c are scecchitano? I hope i havent confused you.
We are going thru my nan
so nan-mum-me...
he said that because my surname isnt the same as my mothers that ut breaks the lineage so in saying that id she changes her b/c to the 'legally changed' surname is the lineage still not going to be recognised in Italy, he was going to send her depoll (which is the legal doc) for change of surname?
Thank you Em, you have put a =D on my dial =D
leasham85

Postby Em » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:58 am

They are giving you incorrect information. The original birth certificate establishes the line between your mom and her mom. The amended bc establishes her connection to you. I have not heard of any consulate that will not accept legally amended documents. My own birth certificate had to be amended to reflect the name I now use (different from that on my bc) and to change my father's name so that it is consistent with the name on HIS bc. This was done in NYC, and the office of vital records simply crossed out the original name, wrote in the new name and stamped the date of the amendment. These were accepted without any fuss. The problem arises when documents cannot be amended to achieve consistency.
Em

Postby azsumrg1rl » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:35 am

Elsewhere Leasham has indicated that her mother's original name is listed on Leasham's birth certificate, not the current/legal name. If this is the case, then this is where her problem lies. She will have to amend her birth certificate to reflect her mother's current/legal name.
azsumrg1rl

Postby Em » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:43 pm

I was confused about this too, but in his earlier post leasham says that the surname on her mother's bc is the one before the family legally changed it. In either case, though, an amendment should solve the problem.
Em

Return to Embassies and Consulates