Italian Consulate in Los Angeles

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Italian Consulate in Los Angeles

Postby djl58 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:56 am

Any experiences with the Consulate in Los Angeles? I have all my paper work, but like many have a few minor issues. First, the birth date of my grandfather is one day earlier on his birth certificate than on his naturalization papers and death certificate. Also, his name whas Giacinto, which is on his Birth, Marriage and Naturalization certificate, but was often called Charles which is on his death certificate as well as the birth certificate of my father. Lastly, my father's name appears as Guiseppe on his birth certificate, Joseph, Joseph Patsy, and Joseph P. elsewhere. From what I am reading these may or may not be issues. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
djl58

Re: Italian Consulate in Los Angeles

Postby azsumrg1rl » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:31 am

There are several current and former applicants on the Italian Citizenship Message Board at http://italiancitizenship.freeforums.org. Several of them have also posted recaps about their appointments with the LA Consulate. Definitely check it out and post your question there too.

LA is fairly easy to work with, but I do see some potential issues with your documentation. Is Charles a an accepted American form of Giacinto? If not, that could be an issue. Giuseppe/Joseph is pretty accepted, so you may be OK. No telling whether or not the consulate will want documents with the middle name amended (especially if the birth certificate does not list one). You'll definitely want to note these discrepancies, maybe even prepare an affidavit stating that Giacinto/Charles is the same person. There's a sample affidavit on the website I listed above.
azsumrg1rl

Re: Italian Consulate in Los Angeles

Postby djl58 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:17 pm

Thanks so much. Very helpful info.
djl58

Return to Embassies and Consulates