Miami consulate requirements

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Miami consulate requirements

Postby JSA » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:03 pm

Hello all,

I am going to be trying to claim jure sanguinis through my paternal-paternal great-grandfather, who immigrated in 1906. It appears from the 1920 census that he did not naturalize until 1918, a few years after my grandfather's birth (whew!). I'm awaiting confirmation via the USCIS, but figured I'd start working on the other documents.

The Miami Consulate website indicates I need the following documentation:

YOUR PATERNAL/MATERNAL GREAT-GRANDFATHER BIRTH CERTIFICATE
YOUR PATERNAL/MATERNAl GREAT-GRANDMOTHER'S BIRTH CERTIFICATE
YOUR PATERNAL/MATERNAL GREAT-GRANDPARENTS' MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE
YOUR PATERNAL/MATERNAL GREAT-GRANDFATHER'S CERTIFICATE OF NATURALIZATION (see category 1 /D/A/B/C)
YOUR PATERNAL/MATERNAL GRANDFATHER’S BIRTH CERTIFICATE
YOUR PATERNAL/MATERNAL GRANDMOTHER’S BIRTH CERTIFICATE
YOUR PATERNAL/MATERNAL GRANDPARENTS’ MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE
YOUR MOTHER'S BIRTH CERTIFICATE
YOUR FATHER'S BIRTH CERTIFICATE
YOUR PARENTS' MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE
YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE
YOUR DECLARATION THAT YOU NEVER RENOUNCED ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP BEFORE ANY ITALIAN AUTHORITY, LISTING ALL PLACES OF YOUR FORMER RESIDENCE (Form 2)
DECLARATION THAT YOUR FATHER/MOTHER NEVER RENOUNCED ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP BEFORE ANY ITALIAN AUTHORITY, LISTING ALL THE PLACES OF HIS/HER FORMER RESIDENCE (if he/she is alive, ask him/her to sign his/ her own declaration. Signature must be notarized if not signed before us. Copy of his/her passport and driver license are requested. Use Form 3)
DECLARATION THAT YOUR GRANDFATHER/GRANDMOTHER NEVER RENOUNCED ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP BEFORE ANY ITALIAN AUTHORITY, listing all the places of residence (if alive, ask him/her to sign his/her own declaration. The signature must be notarized if not signed before us. Copy of passport and I.D. card are requested. Use FORM 3 if he/she is alive or Form 4 if deceased)
ANY PERTINENT DEATH CERTIFICATE/S RELATED TO THE ITALIAN ASCENDANTS If your great-grandfather became a U.S. citizen by naturalization before your grandfather/grandmother’s birth, you might not be entitled to Italian citizenship (unless you fit into another category)
ANY PERTINENT DEATH CERTIFICATE/S RELATED TO THE ITALIAN ASCENDANTS your great grandfather became a U.S. citizen by naturalization before your paternal grandfather’s/grandmother’s birth, you are not entitled to Italian citizenship (unless you fit into another category).

My first question(s) relates to the inherent ambiguity in a few of the items above. Do I need all 8 of my great-grandparents' birth certificates? Or just my the great-grandfather through whom I'm claiming citizenship? Or just the Italian ones? Same questions apply to the marriage certificates.

Also, with respect to the death certificates, do I need those just for my father, grandfather and great-grandfather, or my other Italian ascendants as well (i.e., my paternal grandmother and her parents)?

Thanks!
JSA

Re: Miami consulate requirements

Postby LAD » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:30 pm

For miami just get the papers for everyone in the italian line (your padre, nonno, bisnonno), birth, marriage, and death, plus the natralisation document of your bisnonno. Get an apostile for all of them and youll be set. You def. dont need any papers from your mother's or grandmother's side.
LAD

Postby LAD » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:39 pm

Oh, i see what youre asking now, just get the papers for the one's in the line that youre claiming citizenship
LAD

Postby JM » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:30 pm

When I went through Miami they did Not want any death certificates. They only want the certificates that are in the direct line. For you that would be:
Birth, marriage great grandfather
birth, marriage grandfather
birth, marriage father
birth, marriage you
plus a letter from the comune in Italy stating that as far as they knew your great grandfather was an Italian citizen the day he left Italy. (I had a copy of the ship manifest from when my grandfather emigrated and I gave them that date to use).
Also, if you are married and this is not your first marriage you will need to supply divorce papers.
Also, if you want, you can also supply any birth certificates for your minor children.
Hope this is helpful,
good luck
JM

Postby JSA » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:03 pm

Great, that was very helpful, thank you JM & LAD.
JSA

Return to Embassies and Consulates