Houston or NYC?

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Houston or NYC?

Postby MelindaS » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:41 am

My father, sister and I are applying for our citizenship through my paternal grandfather. My father and I live in the NYC Consulate jurisdiction, which I understand can be very difficult to obtain approval. I am anticipating some challenges with the NYC Consulate due to the fact my GF's application for naturalization records were identified but his actual naturalization certificate (proof that he was naturalized) could not be found.

My sister lives in Houston TX jurisdiction. Would it be advisable for her to apply first, assuming that it is a smoother process, and then my father and I apply after she receives her citizenship?

If my sister applies first and receives her citizenship, then how do my father and I proceed with obtaining our citizenship?

Thank you!
MelindaS

Re: Houston or NYC?

Postby zagnut » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:52 am

"If my sister applies first and receives her citizenship, then how do my father and I proceed with obtaining our citizenship?"

She will have a file number from the Houston consulate. You and father simply reference that and supply any additional docs required by your consulate.
zagnut

Postby MelindaS » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:49 pm

Thank you for the response! Are the only additional documents NY will require are those pertaining to me (my BC, MC, etc.) and my father, or could they request additional supporting documents concerning my grandfather's naturalization, etc. I am concerned NY may be more nit-picky than Houston and would like to avoid some of the difficulties I may encounter with NY. Basically, can NY still question our right to citizenship if it has already been awared to my sister in Houston first?

Thanks so much for the guidance!
MelindaS

Postby zagnut » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:36 am

They should only want your additional docs. However, as it's NY consulate, all bets are off. You must apply and see what happens- there's no predicting what they'll do.
zagnut

Postby Davide » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:45 am

Several years ago, while living in Texas I went through Houston. Once I sent in all my paper work, I was recognized an Italian citizen within one month! I don't know how things are today. Needless to say, there are far fewer requests for Italian citizenship in Texas than say, Boston, New York and other centers of Italian American culture. I used to joke that the Anagrafe (AIRE) in Houston must have all of 10 names. LOL! Comunque, spero che tutto vada bene! In bocca al lupo!
Davide

Return to Embassies and Consulates