NYC Consulate Meeting

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

NYC Consulate Meeting

Postby CPA21 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:46 am

I had my third annual meeting the NYC Consulate on Friday. It went well, but who knows!

My request for recognition had been refused because the Consulate did not like the wording on the certificates of nonexistence that were prepared by USCIS. My ancestor had filed a Declaration of Intent and nothing else. Through today’s meeting I have provided the consulate with seven (7) certificates of nonexistence from USCIS. The certificates were produced 2007, 08, 09, and 10!

This month the Consulate and USCIS have apparently come to an agreement on the wording. I confirmed this with Mike Quinn earlier this week. The certificate I presented today meets the requirements.

I met with the same person today as I met with in June. At that time there was no problem and I filled out the forms. That did not work out well. My interlocutor was happy to see me. I had been careful not to mess up my file. The documents in the file were filled with his notations. While they had sent me back my original documents they had kept the remaining documents and forms. We went through the documents again and made one document exchange. My wife’s original birth certificate was not long form. I had brought the apostilled long form with me.

At the end of the meeting he said that he would present the file to the supervisor for approval. He expressed the hope that I would only be returning to apply for my passport.

While this sounds great on the surface I had a similar experience in June of 2008. I will believe it when I see it.

In related news, the NY consulate will not longer allow parents to register their adult children. My wife’s citizenship will be recognized with mine as our marriage predates the 1983 change in the law.
CPA21

Re: NYC Consulate Meeting

Postby CPA21 » Sat May 29, 2010 11:29 pm

My citizenship was recognized on Friday, 28 May!

I have an appointment to apply for my passport on Friday, 4 June
CPA21

Postby Lancia1980 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:47 pm

So what was the wording that was acceptable to the Consulate drafted by USCIS? Can you cut and paste it here?
Lancia1980

Postby CPA21 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:12 pm

Here it is:

"4. That after a dlilgent search was performed in these database systems, no record was found to exist indicating that the subject listed below obtained naturalization as a citizen of the United States

Your problem is that the NYC Consulate is a moving target. The identical language that was accepted in May of 2010 was refused in July of 2009."

Your best bet is to let USCIS know that you are going to the NYC Consulate. Would they be kind enough to give you the currently approved language on your certificate of nonexistence. My experience is that USCIS has no interest in having you return multiple times for the certificate of nonexistence
CPA21

Postby Lancia1980 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:04 pm

Thank you very much for the text and the advice.
Lancia1980

Postby AdrianBattaglia » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:26 pm

Does that mean the NY Consulate won't let me apply together with my father? I am an adult. Do I have to wait until he has successfully gained his citizenship and then apply separately afterwards?
AdrianBattaglia

Postby Em » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:04 pm

You will be able to apply together if you are both applying at the same consulate and make an appointment for two. But please read my response to your other query. You can only apply if you can qualify through your father's father. Because of your dad's birthdate, you are ineligible through your grandmother.
Em

Postby nmecion » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:26 am

Congratulations !!! Hope that there is a light at the end. I recently went to the consulate and have to fix a few documents, got a little discouraged and kind of fell off the process but after seeing success stories it gives me motivation so thank you!

I was told that my translation divorce judgement from my mothers first marriage had to be apostilled however the english version (original) has an apostille, but thats what he said.

I also have to change my mothers second marriage certificate to her full name to be her maiden name not her first married name.

Now once my mother gets hers i can apply in a more simple process correct? since all the documents will be there.

I was told i could "mail" or "drop off" the amended documents - does that sound right? and then i am guessing they will contact me for another appointment ?

thanks and congrats !!

Nicolette
nmecion

Postby CPA21 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:04 am

If the consulate asked you to mail or drop-off the remaining documents it means that you have no need of further appointments. Assuming you deliver the documents the consulate will approve your request for recognition.
CPA21

Return to Embassies and Consulates