NEW LAW RE: SURNAMES!!!

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

NEW LAW RE: SURNAMES!!!

Postby ivaniannoli » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:31 pm

I just got word that the law requiring use of your father's last name has changed. The new law allows one to use the name on their birth certificate, regardless of whether it's mother or father (or hyphenation of both).

I was just recognized as an Italian Citizen two weeks ago and my 'official' Italian name is in fact a hyphenation of my mother's and father's surnames.

Here is the full email from the San Francisco Italian Consulate:
"Whereas before you could not keep your mother’s last name as part of yours, the new law is that you can keep whatever name your were born with, and that is how we registered you."

I think the law may have only passed in February of this year, so it's possible that the word isn't out yet.

Hope this helps you.

Best of luck.
ivaniannoli

Re: NEW LAW RE: SURNAMES!!!

Postby zagnut » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:03 am

Italian law hasn't changed- it was only a circolare from MInistero dell' Interno:
http://www.servizidemografici.interno.it/sitoCNSD/documentazioneRicerca.do?metodo=contenutoDocumento&servizio=documentazione&ID_DOCUMENTO=1144
zagnut

Postby ivaniannoli » Wed May 26, 2010 2:28 pm

Hmmm, not quite sure what that means. What's a circolare? And what is the gist of the message?

Nonetheless, I have been officially recognized with a hyphenated last name, something that was not possible when I applied (in 2008). So something has definitely changed.
ivaniannoli

Postby azsumrg1rl » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:28 pm

Essentially the circolare was a clarification on the original law regarding surnames. It instructs the consulates and comunes regarding how to handle certain cases that might be affected by the law. In this case, it now clearly states that Italian citizens born abroad should be registered with their given name, regardless of whether that name conforms to Italian surname law.

It's a relief to me, as LA actually told me I probably couldn't get citizenship without changing my name (I have my mother's last name) when I applied in November 2009. Another consular official thought she could get me through on an unrelated loophole, but the circolare should mean that I'll be recognized as an Italian citizen without a problem. Still waiting for the final word tho...
azsumrg1rl

Postby zap » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:12 pm

Ok, then I've got an interesting situation.

My name on my original birth certificate was my mother's surname before marriage, as my parents were not married before I was born and my dad was traveling at the time. In fear of fatherhood, no doubt. :)

After my parents married approximately 1 year later, they filed a correction/amendment to the birth certificate and my surname was changed to match my father's surname. My parents divorced when I was 13, and about 10 years later I petitioned in CA Superior Court to change my surname back to my mother's surname. It was granted. After this happened, and in the course of obtaining documents, I was able to acquire a certified copy of my certificate of baptism from the Catholic Church (Archdiocese of Boston), which has my original surname, that of my mother.

My question: is the baptismal record from the church, and the name change order from the court, sufficient to ensure that my name when I become an Italian citizen will be my current surname (which is my mom's surname before marriage)?

I may be able to get a certified copy of the *original* birth certificate prior to correction. I'm just wondering what the path of least resistance would be in order to ensure that my name is consistent with the name with which i was born. (I'm applying for citizenship jure sanguinis through my mother, maternal grandfather, maternal great-grandfather. My last name (at birth/baptism, and later as a result of the court ordered name change) is the same as the italian side's family name.)

Thanks!
-chris
zap

Return to Embassies and Consulates