Before I go to the embassy... some questions

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Before I go to the embassy... some questions

Postby dslavs » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:56 pm

I have worked to get all the documents, get them certified, and translated for obtaining citizenship jure sanguinis from my Maternal Great Grandfather. I have a bunch of questions, most of which seem to be consulate-specific. I would like to get as many answered before I got there, to make things as smooth as possible.

1. I live in Boston, but I am a NY resident. Do I have to use the NYC consulate or can I use the Boston one?

2. After obtaining everything, I downloaded an “APPLICATION FOR ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP JURE SANGUINIS” off the MyItalianCitizenship website. Should I fill this out (and get it notarized) or does the consulate have its own application?

3. How much does it cost? I know passport costs, but is there a cost to go from zero-to-citizen /per application?

4. Several other family members are interested, if they have the right documentation (extra birth certificates, etc) can they “piggy back” on my application? And by that I mean, can they fill out an application form and apply alongside me (and my paperwork)?

5. If other family members decide they are interested later on (after my citizenship has gone through), can they come in the future with their paperwork and affix themselves to my lineage that is “hopefully” on file at the consulate?

6. I have an aunt, who fairly easily should be able to become an Italian citizen (through the same process). She has two adopted Korean children under the age of 18, if she obtains Italian citizenship, will they as well?

7. I'll probably have other questions, but I can't think of any more at this moment.
dslavs

Re: Before I go to the embassy... some questions

Postby terminus » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:57 pm

Please see my comments/thoughts below.

dslavs wrote :
> 1. I live in Boston, but I am a NY resident. Do I have to use the NYC
> consulate or can I use the Boston one?

If you are a New York resident (in other words, you're drivers license says New York and you vote in New York) you file in new York.

> 2. After obtaining everything, I downloaded an “APPLICATION FOR ITALIAN
> CITIZENSHIP JURE SANGUINIS” off the MyItalianCitizenship website. Should I
> fill this out (and get it notarized) or does the consulate have its own
> application?

I do not believe you need to have anything notarized, with the exception of the form for ascendents stating that they did not renounce their citizenship.
>
> 3. How much does it cost? I know passport costs, but is there a cost to go
> from zero-to-citizen /per application?

There is not cost for the appointment.

> 4. Several other family members are interested, if they have the right
> documentation (extra birth certificates, etc) can they “piggy back” on my
> application? And by that I mean, can they fill out an application form and
> apply alongside me (and my paperwork)?

When you call to make your appointment, see if this is possible. It is in many consulates, but you have to specify it when you make the appointment.

> 5. If other family members decide they are interested later on (after my
> citizenship has gone through), can they come in the future with their
> paperwork and affix themselves to my lineage that is “hopefully” on file at
> the consulate?
>
Yes, sort of. They need to provide a photocopy of all the necessary documents from your file, with a note listing your case number and consulate on each. They would then need to provide any missing files for their lineage (apostilled and translated, of course).

> 6. I have an aunt, who fairly easily should be able to become an Italian
> citizen (through the same process). She has two adopted Korean children
> under the age of 18, if she obtains Italian citizenship, will they as well?

Yes.

> 7. I'll probably have other questions, but I can't think of any more at
> this moment.
terminus

Re: Before I go to the embassy... some questions

Postby NOLA » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:12 pm

Believe me, before you go through the trouble to get Italian citizenship for adopted children, do some real checking. The things that you are reading on the Internet are not all true.
NOLA

Return to Embassies and Consulates