Newark Consulate

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Newark Consulate

Postby Daniella » Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:36 pm

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with obtaining their Italian citizenship through the Newark Consulate. They have replied to some of my emails and apparently don't require an appointment to be seen, which is great. But I am worried that since I am applying through my grandmother's line (father -> grandmother -> great-grandfather), and since my grandmother lives in New York, she may have to apply before I can at the NYC Consulate. Any thoughts?
Daniella

Re: Newark Consulate

Postby mimi » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:01 pm

Daniella wrote:I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with obtaining their Italian citizenship through the Newark Consulate. They have replied to some of my emails and apparently don't require an appointment to be seen, which is great. But I am worried that since I am applying through my grandmother's line (father -> grandmother -> great-grandfather), and since my grandmother lives in New York, she may have to apply before I can at the NYC Consulate. Any thoughts?

since you're the one applying you need to go to the consulate nearest you.
mimi

Newark Vice Consulate

Postby Ray » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:59 am

Daniella, I just received my citizenship after working with the Neward Vice Consulate Office. I obtained my citizenship through my maternal grandfather. Almost of my ducuments were issed by New York State but becuase I live in Northern New Jersey the application has to be processed through the Newark office. I waited about 10 months to recieve official notification that my birth had been registered. My experience with the Newark office was good. The process takes time, but I am happy that I did it.
Ray

Waiting

Postby billotti » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:37 am

I applied exactly 10 months ago at the Newark Office and am eagerly awaiting to hear some news of my citizenship. I was slightly dismayed to learn that it is the NYC office that processes the documents submitted to the Newark office. Does this mean that my Newark application is subject to the delays (around 10 months I believe) at the NYC consulate? Is waiting the only thing I can do right now?
billotti

Who Processes the documents?

Postby billotti » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:18 pm

I am actually rather confused whether my citizenship application submitted to the Vice Consulate in Newark, New Jersey is processed by that office or is sent to the NYC embassy. Either way, the NYC office says that it is 18 months behind and the Newark office is unreachable by phone, email, or fax However, on their new website, they have posted that citizenship applications take on average between 2-3 years. I have been waiting 14 months now when I was told that 10 months would be sufficient. Does anyone have any experience with this office or advice on how I could proceed or if someone knows for sure which office is processing my citizenship application?
billotti

Postby Muddoni » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:20 pm

I actually found the staff at the Newark office to be very cooperative. Especially considering they have one person doing ctzshp for the whole state!

I am not an applicant for citizenship, but on other issues all my emails were returned. Those and faxes are the best way to communicate I guess? Make sure you are writing to the correct address! they changed those a few months ago.

And yes, they say that waiting time for citizenship is around two years now..
Muddoni

recent experience at Newark consulate

Postby mja » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:10 pm

I recently visited the Newark consulate to submit my application for Italian citizenship. The woman who I saw there was friendly and helpful (but unfortunately I did not get her name). I had all of the documents, apostilles, and translations per the instructions on the Newark counsel's website ready to go. She first asked what my basis for claiming Italian citizenship is. (My grandfather immigrated, my father was born in US before he was naturalized). She then asked for certain documents, but nowhere near all of the documents that I prepared based on the instructions on the website. I had to submit my grandfather's birth certificate, his marriage certificate, and his death certificate, as well as his immigration records. I had to submit my father's birth certificate, marriage certificate, and death certificate. I had to submit my birth certificate and my marriage certificate. They did not ask me for any of the certificates on the maternal line (i.e., they did not ask for my grandmothers' birth certificate or death certificate, or my mother's birth certificate.) They did not ask for my wife's birth certificate. And they did not ask for any of the translations that I had made. She told me that they had to send my birth certificate to Los Angeles for some further verification (I was born in Southern California), but it was not clear to me exactly why they had to do that. She told me that I should receive a letter from them in about 1 year.
mja

Postby Em » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:17 pm

Newark is now (or will soon become) a full-fledged consulate. The wait time they are quoting is two years, but from the information I obtained when I last was there (February, 2008), they do not let you obtain a passport until your documents are registered in your comune. As of this time, they accept walk-ins during the morning hours.

And, as mja reports, like NY, they require documents only from the citizenship line.
Em

Postby piccola_pampina » Thu May 28, 2009 2:47 pm

I am trying to see if I can apply through Newark. Before I was trying to become a student at an Italian university, however couldn't because the mandatory intensive language courses and exams are held the same time as my sister's wedding. From dealing with the Newark consulate, the woman I spoke to was very nice. Although the person who deals with these applications was out of the office until the final week you could apply ask for permission to apply. The woman in NY that I had spoken to was very unfriendly, rude, and seemed extremely stressed out. So hopefully you should have a nice experience at the Newark consulate just by dealing with nicer people.
piccola_pampina

Postby palex » Sun May 31, 2009 12:03 pm

Does anyone know what month Newark is currently processing or if anyone has had any recent success there?
palex

Postby Zingara » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:29 pm

I am new to this message board. I want to obtain my Italian citizenship (through my maternal grandfather) and would appreciate any help you can give me. I live in Central NJ and understand that I have to apply through the Newark Consulate. I have looked at their website but have gotten many conflicting messages about the process. Do I need an appointment, and, if so, how do I get one? How long is the wait for an appointment? Do I need to have all of my documents at the time of the first appointment? All I have right now are my grandfather's naturalization papers. Will they (and all other U.S. papers) need to be translated? Will I need my grandmother's certificates or my father's certificates? Grazie mili to everyone here in advance for their patience and help.
Zingara

Postby bealudobona » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:08 pm

Yes, you have to make an appointment. Email is best: statocivile.newark@esteri.it
The wait's about nine months currently.
You should have all the documents. Nine months should give you enough time to get the rest, esp. considering it's the naturalization papers and/or other documents from USCIS that usually take the longest.
The only docs that need to be translated are those that would be sent to the comune in Italy in which your citizenship would be registered - ie, the vital records.
You probably only need the vital records of the bloodline you're claiming citizenship from. Many people have bought the birth and death certs of the spouses and have had those docs ignored by the consulate even though the websites say they're required. But if you want to cover all possible bases, bring them.
bealudobona

Postby Zingara » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:55 pm

Thank you for taking the time to respond.
I just got off of the phone with the Newark Consulate and was given an appointment for July 19, 2011. That should give me plenty of time to get the documents that I need!
Per their website, in order to apply through my mother/maternal grandfather I need the following:
1) Your maternal grandfather's birth certificate;
2) Your maternal grandmother's birth certificate;
3) Your grandparents' marriage certificate;
4) Your grandfather's certificate of naturalization;
5) Your father's birth certificate;
6) Your mother's birth certificate;
7) Affidavit that your mother never renounced the Italian citizenship before any Italian authority. If applies, please ask her to sign his own affidavit. Signature must be notarized. Copy of her passport and driver licence are requested;
8) Your birth certificate;
9) Any pertinent death certificate/s or grandfather/mother's current address/es;
10) Your affidavit that you have never renounced the Italian citizenship before any Italian authority.
Do the translations have to be done by an "official" interpreter or can a friend/family member do them for me? Do the affidavits have to be translated?
Is there an actual application form that needs to be filled out? If so, how/when do I get it?
I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had a recent appointment to verify that this is all that they want.
Thanks again.
Zingara

Postby Em » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:30 am

I was in the Newark Consulate several years ago, so I can't confirm that this is the way they do things now. By all means obtain the documents in the non-citizenship line, but keep them in a separate folder and don't worry about minor discrepancies. The odds are they won't ask for them. The "Declaration of Living Ascendent" should be notarized if it is not signed at the consulate. I used the form downloaded from the New York Consulate webpage, which simplifies matters. The NY Consulate also allows you to download the application form, declaration of applicant, and declaration for a deceased ascendent:

http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/Consolato_NewYork/Templates/Pagina_Interna.aspx?NRMODE=Published&FRAMELESS=true&NRNODEGUID=%7b9F0288DC-69D1-46F7-AE8B-4F8687831E3E%7d&NRORIGINALURL=%2fNR%2fexeres%2f9F0288DC-69D1-46F7-AE8B-4F8687831E3E%2cframeless%2ehtm%3fNRMODE%3dPublished&NRCACHEHINT=NoModifyGuest#9

(Sorry, I don't know how to shorten the link. You'll have to copy and paste it to your browser.) These were the forms I submitted in Newark.

I used my own translations and attached a sheet stating (in Italian and in English) that I translated the documents and that they were both complete and accurate. I had this statement notarized, just in case (no apostille).
Em

Postby bealudobona » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:41 pm

I would also write to Italy for the "certificato di trascorso possesso della cittadinanza italiana" for your immigrant ancestor. This proves they were an Italian citizen, since in Italy, being born there is not synonymous with citizenship (the children of foreign-born noncitizens are not Italian citizens by virtue of being born on Italian soil). Italian birth certificates do not indicate whether someone is or is not a citizen; the certificato di trascorso is the document that confirms Italian citizenship.
bealudobona

Next

Return to Embassies and Consulates