Chicago Consulate appointments and processing time?

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Chicago Consulate appointments and processing time?

Postby ginamhinton » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:35 pm

Hi all!
I sent in a request for an appointment at Chicago May 2010 and received an automatic reply stating that new appointments were not being made and to email the request in again in January 2011. I've read in years past that Chicago is really back up. Is this still the case? Can anyone shed any light on how far out they're booking appointments? On the processing time afterward??? They don't seem to be dropping any hints on the website. They basically say they refuse to answer questions regarding processing time.

Gina DiDesidero
ginamhinton

Re: Chicago Consulate appointments and processing time?

Postby ginamhinton » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:48 pm

I sent an email to Chicago asking how to get a certificate of residence for my husband (by the way, I never did get a response to this question, and I've called every US authority I can think of, so if you know what this is, I'm all ears). Although I wasn't requesting an appointment I got this as a response:

"Please re-submit the application for appointment after January 1, 2011. We will not assign 2011 appointments until January 2011."

I'm assuming this means they currently have no appointments in 2011 and will begin scheduling appointments for January in January? That gives a person very little notice, but we're totally willing to make it work- even if we are in Colorado Springs and I'm having a baby 2 weeks before the new year. I've been working on this since 2005, when we used to be in SF jurisdiction.

Regarding processing time... I'm clueless still.

Anyone out there have any recent history with Chicago???
ginamhinton

Postby CMLoechl » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:51 pm

Hi everyone,

I also received the same standard 'please apply after Jan. 1st' letter. I resubmitted my appointment request on Jan. 1st, and already received a reply, just 2 days later! Even better, my appointment is Jan. 25th, only a few weeks away. I am thrilled, as in the past the wait time seemed to be 10 months- a year. I still have no idea how long my wait for my passport will be (and therefore legal working rights for the EU, which is what I am after), but from what I've seen on other message boards it can be anywhere from 6 weeks to a year and a half. Go figure. Here's to hoping 2011 has faster times!! I will do my best to post my experience with the consulate asap after the appointment.

Cheers,
Courtney
CMLoechl

Postby ginamhinton » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:35 am

I also resubmitted my request for an appointment January 1st and received a reply 2 days later. I am scheduled for February 17th. I am hoping that with the consulate making us all wait to schedule that will somehow translate into faster processing times. CMLoechl, do let us know how your appointment goes and good luck!!
ginamhinton

Postby idheitmann » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:47 pm

Be glad that the lead time for Chicago is nothing compared to SF! I changed my state residence just to get away from SF.

I submitted my application in person November 2009. It was relatively painless. Anna Vingelli is a capable woman and pleasant enough to deal with. She confirmed over the phone to me that the application had been forwarded to the Comune di Roma. No word back yet!

Has anyone received their letter from the Comune recently?
idheitmann

Postby ginamhinton » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:59 pm

We presented our applications at our appointment Feb 17th. I worked carefully to ensure everything that was asked of me was completed and in proper order. The consular officer reviewed my paperwork for about 15 min and had me fill out another form verifying me identity and address. She informed me that all I can do now is wait. no clue how long. It sounded like everything is sent to my ancestor's comune (tiny little village, Gissi, outside Chieti. Been there, so I'm thinking they maybe have a couple people working there, although they now have website, well organized, which is promising). From there, Gissis sends confirmation to Chicago, who informs me that my birth certificate has been registered in their comune. THEN, I send in a request to get a copy of said BC from Gissi. I will need this to apply for my passport.

My husband will be able to apply for citizenship once I am registered in the AIRE.

Anyone else have any additional information about Chicago's wait time?
ginamhinton

Postby jditolla » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:28 pm

I sent a request for an appointment (by e-mail) to Chicago on Monday, March 21, and received a response today--my appointment will be on November 23, 2011...
jditolla

Postby epasqueno » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:59 am

Did they just give you an appointment time you had to make it to, or can you negotiate a mutually convenient time? I mean, I will have to request off work, buy a plane ticket, arrange lodging and a car....I'm worried about this.
epasqueno

Postby jditolla » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:06 am

@ epasqueno: You ask a good question, as the date that I was given is the day before Thanksgiving (and I will be flying from Denver). That might be the absolute worst day of the year to be in an airport! I had not asked for any specific date/time when I requested an appointment. However, an acquaintance who has been through the entire procedure (at the Chicago consulate) told me that her initial appointment date was not convenient for her. She wrote back and gave them alternative dates near her original appointment date. She said the Chicago consulate employees gave her one of her alternate dates. I will probably write back and ask for a different date. If you have a preference (e.g., a Monday or a Friday), you might ask for that now. Like I said, I was given a date 8 months out, so you should have plenty of time to plan the logistics of your trip...
jditolla

Postby epasqueno » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:35 pm

THANK YOU! I will ALSO be flying to Chicago from Denver. :D I am still gathering documents, so I haven't made an appointment yet. How did you make your appointment? Do you call?
epasqueno

Postby jditolla » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:15 am

At the main page for Citizenship information for the Chicago consulate http://bit.ly/hoRWsd, scroll down to the heading "Instructions and Forms" and click on the item #1 titled "How to make an appointment." That will bring up a Word document that you can fill out and return by e-mail...
jditolla

Postby epasqueno » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:47 am

Excellent! Thank you!
epasqueno

Postby CMLoechl » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:00 pm

Hi again everyone,

Sorry for the long delay in recapping my experience, but by the time I thought about it, the message board was down. As stated in my earlier post, I had an appointment on the 25th of Jan. It basically went exactly as 'ginamhinton' posted about below. The woman (Anna? now I can't remember) flipped through all of my documents, checking everything for about 15 mins. I also worked hard to make sure everything was in order and thought I was golden- until she asked for a bill or bank statement confirming my address. I hadn't brought either with and nearly cried until she saw an envelope from a letter addressed to me. In a stroke of luck, I still had a half torn up envelope from receiving one of the birth certs from Italy stuck in my binder, and she deemed that worthy enough to prove my address. So don't forget to bring something like that with you! Would have been such a stupid thing to get hung up on after all that time of tracking down documents.

The other hiccup was that I only had my license with me, not my passport. I was flying out of the country again a week later and didn't want to risk losing it, as I didn't think I needed it. However, she allowed me to scan it and email the copy. I did this immediately the next day, but as expected did not receive any response that it was received properly. So...just hoping that it was, and that it isn't the reason of my wait. Which brings me to the bummer part of this post- it's been 10 months now and I haven't heard one thing. So much for shorter wait times in 2011. Like ginamhinton said, I now have to wait for a confirmation letter from the commune in Italy in order to apply for my birth certificate, and then once I finally have that, apply for my passport. What I am most confused about is at which step I receive legal working rights in the EU. After going through all of my documents, I double checked with the woman that it was all ok and she said 'yes, you are now a citizen of Italy'. Which would be great...if only I could prove that already. Anyone have any idea at which point it is legal for working purposes?

Good luck to those still in the process! It felt great at my appointment...but now I'm wondering if I'll ever hear anything again. In time I'm sure....
CMLoechl

Postby jditolla » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:20 pm

@CMLoechl--thanks for the update. Coincidentally, I just checked into my hotel room in Chicago, and my appointment at the consulate will be Wednesday morning. And I brought my passport and a copy of my cable TV bill! If I can get any information out the consulate about current processing times, I'll post it here...Jeffrey
jditolla

Postby jmstn1 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:51 pm

Jeffrey,

Reading your post made my pulse quicken a bit, as I was in your shoes 2 years ago...hope all went smoothly. I found the Chicago staff to be extremely efficient. Hope you did too. Buona Fortuna!
jmstn1

Next

Return to Embassies and Consulates