Chicago Consulate appointments and processing time?

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Re: Chicago Consulate appointments and processing time?

Postby jditolla » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:39 pm

@jmstn1--I wish I could report good news, but my meeting today in Chicago was a mild disaster. The reviewer (who was nice and friendly) was an absolute stickler about any discrepancy. Like I have seen others report on this board, I have a couple of relatives whose documents have 3 different first names (Italian birth name, Italian nickname, American nickname) and 3 different last names. The names are close enough to each other (in my opinion) that it is clear that we are talking about the same person. She told me that I needed to get amendments to all of these documents to conform them to the birth certificate, but then I think she decided it is OK (because those documents related to the women, and my lineage is through the men in my family).

I was then told that I was missing a death certificate for my paternal grandfather, who was born in America. I told her that the instructions say that I only need death certificates for "Italian-born ancestors," but she said that I still need one.

I was also told that my naturalization document was insufficient, as I only had a certificate of non-records from the USCIS. She said I needed a letter from the National Archives. I pointed out that the Chicago consulate's instructions only asked that I "double-check" with the National Archives, but it did not require a letter from the Nat'l Archives. I did check over the phone with the Archives (they had no records), but they had no records. Still, she wants me to get a letter from them.

She also wanted a death certificate from my great grandmother's first husband, who was killed a couple of years before she married my great grandfather. I asked why I would need that, and she told me that they needed to know that my great grandmother wasn't still married to this guy when she married my great grandfather. I don't think that my great grandmother was a polygamist!

The part that was driving me crazy during my 90 minute meeting was that my father applied for his Italian citizenship in Los Angeles 6.5 months ago--with the IDENTICAL DOCUMENTS that I submitted! No questions asked of him in L.A.--everything was fine. I brought this up a couple of times, and the examiner was incredulous that L.A. could have accepted the documents in this form. The Chicago woman did tell me a couple of times that I should just wait for my dad to hear back that his application has been approved, and then submit a very simple application as the son of an Italian. She said that it shouldn't be longer than a 6 month turn around for my dad to get approved, but of course, it has already been 6.5 months and counting.

On the plus side, at least I have a file open in Chicago (even if they wouldn't take any of my original documents). And I can submit some of the new documents by e-mail, so I don't have to fly out from Colorado again. I enjoyed my first time in Chicago, but ending my trip with this meeting kind of put a damper on my trip...

Jeffrey
jditolla

Postby jmstn1 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:20 pm

Jeffrey, Looks like your case boils down to 2 death certificates and 1 USCIS document! Hang in there (My case took 7 years - See Success Stories). The Consulate can be exacting...but remember if you qualify, then you qualify and no one can change that fact - it's just a matter of proving your case. I would continue on with the Chicago Consulate, perhaps emailing Ms. Vingelli (the official you probably met with) your understanding of what is required after meeting with her. This is what I did with my case.

Additionally, if all works out with your Father's Los Angeles case, I would go ahead and take her advice and apply as the "son" of an Italian. Buona Fortuna!
jmstn1

Postby jditolla » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:05 pm

Thanks for the reply and the pep talk--I do appreciate it! I was pretty deflated after the appointment. I was sick and sleep-deprived and had spent a few hundred dollars to get to Chicago, and just expected things to go as smoothly as they had for my dad in Los Angeles. However, I am over it and already back to requesting the extra documents. I can be fairly tenacious/resourceful/stubborn, so I know that I will get it done. And hopefully faster than your 7 years! I applaud your persistence...Jeffrey
jditolla

Postby jmstn1 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:15 pm

I remember my Italian Grandmother refering to my tenacious/resourceful/stubborn traits as "Hardheadedness". Something I'm very proud of as a Calabrian/American! Onward!
jmstn1

Postby CPA21 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:52 pm

If your father already has an accepted application in LA be patient. After he is recognized he may be able to register your birth certificate with LA. Failing that you will be able to obtain his birth and marriage certifcates from Italy and use those to request recognition in Chicago. If your father has an Italian passport, birth certificate, and marriage certificate the only documentation you will need to add is your own birth certificate.

I went through many difficulties in getting my citozenship recognized but my adult children only had to go back to me. I am now their Italian ancestor!
CPA21

Postby jditolla » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:25 pm

@CPA--thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, "patient" is not a word that is often used to describe me! I am taking the "belts and suspenders" approach right now (instead of the "wait and see" approach) and continuing to pursue my application while my dad's application is being worked on. I agree that if my dad's gets approved first, piggybacking on his application is the way to go. Hopefully, that will happen soon...
jditolla

Previous

Return to Embassies and Consulates