Who grants or recognizes a citizenship?

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Who grants or recognizes a citizenship?

Postby Bencio » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:09 pm

Hi, my name is Bencio and I live in Mexico. My great-grandfather was born in Capannori, near Lucca in la Toscana. After a very long and exhausting quest to get all of our documents from different authorities and register offices, my mother and I have already begun the process of applying for our Italian citizenship. It appears that the Consulate in Mexico city has approved our documentation since they said that they were going to send our papers to the Comune di Capannori to have us, as well as my children, registered in the AIRE. My question is: who decides weather someone is granted the citizenship, the Consulate or the Comune in Italy? Is it possible to be approved at the Consulate and then rejected at the Comune? Also, is there anybody familiar with the Comne di Cappanori or knows if they send a letter to the applier once the registration is done?
Last but not least, I wanted to say that this site has been very helpful for me and I wanted to thank those responsible for such an important work. Merry Christmas.
Bencio

Re: Who grants or recognizes a citizenship?

Postby Davide » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:01 pm

It is my understanding that your local Italian consulate reviews all the documentation and makes the decision. Once this is done, the information is sent to the Italian comune where your family orginates.
Davide

Postby Bencio » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:05 pm

Thanks Davide. I guess I'll just have to wait for a letter from the Comune.
I believe that there are some Comunes where one can review their AIRE files via Internet,
In order to verify if he is registered yet, but mine (Capanori) does not have that tool.
At least, that's what I think because I'm not that fluent in Italian.
Anyway, this site and this particular forum has been very helpful and keeps me busy while I wait.
Have a happy new year.
Bencio.
Bencio

Postby nikmaq » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:40 pm

Thanks for asking the question Bencio. I am in the same situation.

My last visit to the Consulate left me with more questions than answers. Now that they have all my paperwork, complete with apostilles, and I have signed the "form", and everything is to be sent off to the Comune for me to be "registered as an Italian Citizen living abroad" to use her words -- does this mean I was approved? Or is there still a chance it can be denied?

After your last post here, what happened? Just wondering what's next, and who exactly is doing the approving...

Thanks!
nikmaq

Postby CPA21 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:49 am

Ask when you can apply for your passport. Some consulates will let you do so based on their approval while other consulates make you wait two months. Still other consulates require you to provide your Italian birth certificate.
CPA21

Return to Embassies and Consulates